Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

NOFX Release Statement After Being Giant Assholes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 31, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

At the Punk Rock Bowling and Music Festival, NOFX’s guitarist Eric Melvin joked (and I use that term very loosely here) that “I guess you only get shot in Vegas if you’re in a country band” and Fat Mike replied with “At least they were country fans and not punk rock fans.” So, yeah, fuck that. The band has posted a statement apologizing, the festival has condemned the remarks, and Stone Brewing Company have revoked their beer sponsorship with the band.

NOFX:

I can’t sleep, no one in my band can. What we said in Vegas was shitty and insensitive and we are all embarrassed by our remarks. So we decided we will all get together to discuss and write an in depth, sincere, and honest apology because that’s what the people we offended and hurt deserve.

Stone Brewing Company:

We at Stone Brewing are aware of NOFX’s insensitive and indefensible statements this past weekend. As a result, we are severing all our ties with NOFX, including festival sponsorship and the production of our collaboration beer. We respect punk rock, and the DIY ethos for which it stands. To us, it means standing up for things you believe in, and fearlessly committing to what’s right. And it is for that reason that Stone Brewing is immediately disassociating ourselves from the band NOFX. Stone had a sponsorship deal for this summer’s Punk In Drublic festivals. Emphasis ‘had.’ That sponsorship is now canceled. Nevertheless, to try our best to make some good come out of these awful comments, we have decided that we will donate all profits of the beer to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Foundation, which provides post Route 91 trauma counseling for officers and other first responders alongside other safety programs, training and funding. We have cancelled any future rebrews of this beer. We apologize to the fans of the beer itself, but know that we make this decision out of respect to all. Punk rock is cool. These callous comments were the furthest thing from it.

2. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Hot take: NOFX has never been funny.

3. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Even the statement is shitty

Aaron Mook likes this.
  4. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

How stupid do you have to be to not have the foresight to know not to make fun of a mass shooting?

5. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

Stupid enough to still insist on being lowest hanging fruit edge lords on stage well into your 40's.

6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

They say a bunch of shit all the time, but thats no excuse. This is even low for them. The apology was half assed too. They truly do everything at 60%.

I just bought a six pack of the PID beer over the weekend too. I don’t blame Stone for axing them right away. Good job, Stone.

Connor and Raku like this.
  7. J.Dick

Regular

50's...I went to PunkInDrublic in Pittsburgh. It was a great event and a great time but I pretty much left after Bad Religion cause I have very little interest in NOFX since post 2004.
    NOFX have made some great music and Mike's label is amazing but there is just no excusing these statements.

Connor likes this.
  8. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

The most hilarious thing is them getting booted from their own festival and the replacements making the lineup ten times better than it was to begin with.

9. don't fret

Done with this band.

10. Woohoo!

Regular

Genuine question: what's wrong about it? The statement is extremely short but they implied that they were going to carefully flesh out a better, longer apology. They admitted they were wrong and didn't justify it in any way. BTW I'm not a fan of the band in any way and it was incredibly brainless for them to say that stuff. You can argue that people should boycott them or they should retire or something, but I think if I had to switch bodies with one of them and needed to make an apology, I would say a quick apology like this too and think of a more comprehensive apology ASAP.

11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Fucking assholes.

zmtr likes this.
  12. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

They always have been, and it was bound to catch up with them. They've gotten away with stuff before because their comments often only alienated one section of their audience (e.g. about religion), but this was universally cruel and insensitive.

13. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

They always kinda have been though....

Raku likes this.
  14. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Fat Mike has always been a douche.

15. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Something about the saying they’re going to get together to write a sincere apology instead of just doing that rubs me the wrong way

coleslawed and Connor like this.
  16. prattsy

Regular

The statement from the Brewery is badass. Good on them for the way they handled it 100%.

17. Raku

Regular

They usually say messed up shit, and that's the whole trick with their show... Kind of like blink-182, and the sex jokes they would make.

However, this is too far, even for them (or punk rock). I can't help noticing that a lot of people are making easily avoidable stupid mistakes lately. I'm genuinely wondering why stuff like this keeps happening?

18. Fox83

Trusted

The song She's Nubs is the first and last time NOFX gave me a warm chuckle.

19. transrebel59

Regular

Idiots. Stone is a great brewery and so is their response to this.

20. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I feel like bands (and entertainers in general) like this just have such a hard time adapting. In the 90s/00s, comments like this were expected, and were basically the whole appeal for NOFX. Now, it's just the opposite - they're losing fans for the same antics that they gained them with earlier in their careers.

I've never liked the band, because I never liked this sort of thing. But I understand why they'd say this kind of shit in 2018; they did every year before that too.

21. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

my theory is that After the 2016 election all of our brains broke

Hazelnutsack likes this.
  22. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Great now some jerkoff is gonna see shooting up a punk show as an achievement that hasn't been attained. I honestly worry about this shit. I'm already scared to go anywhere with large crowds anymore. I have constant nightmares about this shit. Ever since my brother was at NIU when that fucker shot it up in 2008.

I'm not mad at NoFx, its just a shitty thing to say. Time/Tragedy seems to be an artistic license anymore. Maybe we are too desensitized and it's sad

Raku likes this.
  23. getuprandy

This site wouldnt even exist without this band. good for them. the rest of you can hide in your safe space. Its called a bad joke. im sure fat mike doesnt want people dead...shake your head and move on with ur life.

24. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Fuck off

25. bloodinthesand

Regular

Band blows....douchebags