Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Menzingers – “Toy Soldier”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 30, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Any Menzingers > no Menzingers... but I'm kind of hoping this is just a b-side from an upcoming album. Didn't do a whole lot for me.

orangehorizon likes this.
  3. I still haven't been excited by anything they've done since Rented World.

4. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

I like this. Needs a few more listens to really grow on me though.

5. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Really? I loathe RW but loved ATP

honkytonk, jasonmerch and CMilliken like this.
  6. CMilliken

Trusted

After The Party is so good though.

Connor, BelieF and jasonmerch like this.
  7. BigMouth May 30, 2018
    (Last edited: May 30, 2018)
    I've given it so many chances and it bores me every time. I think it's a particular example of Will Yip's engineering style really rubbing me the wrong way, and the lyrics do almost nothing for me. I'm well aware that people love that record, I was just personally pretty disappointed by it (I like three songs: Tellin' Lies, Lookers, and the title track). I don't have a problem with people liking the record, it's just not for me.

8. I don't think I've ever seen a Menzingers fan not like ATP.

Connor, SamLevi11, Fletchaaa and 4 others like this.
  9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

ATP moved more in the direction of americana punk that i am not very interested in, lookers is great and tellin' lies is fun but there's a whole lot i don't care for much

Connor and BigMouth like this.
  10. I've been pretty vocal about it in the past on these forums, haha. I truly love RW and OTIP, seen them live 2-3 times and enjoyed myself, but ATP just does almost nothing for me.

cwhit likes this.
  11. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

menzos will forever be a super fun live band that i won't stop seeing though

BigMouth likes this.
  12. Definitely the first fan of the band I think I’ve seen say that. I think it's their best album and the band at the top of their game. It kicks Rented World's ass.

Connor, SamLevi11, solxace and 4 others like this.
  13. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Absolutely agreed. There's a lot to like on RW but some of that album just isn't for me. I'm in love with OTIP, but ATP is far and above their best record.

Connor likes this.
  14. Top to bottom I think it's hard to argue with that. It's easily their most actualized record for the sound they make.

Chris Prindle likes this.
  15. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

I've loved every album they've done, but you know when you're house hunting and you get that feeling when it's the one? That is After the Party for me...it's phenomenal, and the lyrical content is the most relatable for me as I approach my low-mid 30's. That encapsulate that part of my life perfectly.

Connor, CMilliken and ScutFarkus like this.
  16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

This band does no wrong.

Rented World is my numero 1 from them though. Followed by After the Party and then OTIP. Probably an unpopular opinion, but whatever.

CMilliken likes this.
  17. AVanMill17

Regular

Usually very annoyed by the "day- ay -ay- ayyy" type device but somehow the Menzingers lowered my guard and do no wrong as always. Enjoyed this, even if it felt a little like a B-side from the ATP sessions. Excited to see them open for Frank Turner.

pauljgreco likes this.
  18. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

ATP is the first record by the band i liked and this song sounds right in that vein but i find it really boring.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

They seemed to have found their niche with ATP. I foresee nothing but further greatness in the future.

disambigujason likes this.
  20. jco3

Regular

The kinda change-up "This ain't over little toy solder..." part towards the middle of the song kind of reminded me of the bridge in Armor for Sleeps' "The Truth about Heaven". They don't sound really that similar but, just how they both kinda slow it down a bit.

CMilliken and disambigujason like this.
  21. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I love Rented World and only like a couple songs from ATP. I might revisit it...

22. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

After the party got me really into them and then I went backwards to all of their older stuff. I like the song but it's not like when they released Lookers

CMilliken and pauljgreco like this.
  23. CMilliken May 30, 2018
    (Last edited: May 30, 2018)
    CMilliken

Trusted

I’ve heard this a lot about Will Yip. I guess I don’t hear it in the stuff he does. I’m to the point of listening to everything the guy touches cause I haven’t been let down. But everyone has their opinion.

disambigujason and pauljgreco like this.
  24. CMilliken

Trusted

Oh I miss Armor For Sleep. Rip

Furman and disambigujason like this.
  25. lava890

Regular Supporter

I like this song a lot. It was bummer when I couldn’t listen yet at work and the first two comments in this thread were negative.

Jason Tate likes this.