Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Roseanne’ Canceled Following Racist Tweets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 29, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Variety:

ABC has pulled the plug on the revival Roseanne.

The move comes after series star Roseanne Barr made a comment on Twitter referring to former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett as the “offspring of the ‘Muslim Brotherhood & Planet of the Apes.’”

2. AshlandATeam

Trusted

It's almost like having Roseanne Barr as a beacon of hope and a spokesperson for an entire political and social movement is a really bad idea. Weird.

3. tomtom94

Trusted

Yet another person who could have been paid millions of dollars and been hugely successful and all they had to do was not be racist... and couldn't even manage that.

Raku, Robk, BradBradley and 17 others like this.
  4. :rotfl:

I needed this today.

elphshelf, Robk, jeff.dart and 16 others like this.
  5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Well they never should have given her a platform in the first place, but good on them for at least making the right choice here. Honestly I'm shocked that they did considering how successful the reboot has been. Can't wait to watch all the whining and crying about a television show from the Trump folk. Going to give me entertainment all week

It's sad that this is surprising though. If only we lived in a world where companies always made choices based on human decency instead of just dollar signs.

6. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I'm glad ABC decided to send a (very) clear signal about accountability.

7. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Good. They made the right call.

8. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

Today is a good day.

9. saveferris

I just cannot wrap my head around that.

Raku and Larry David like this.
  10. The Format

Regular

WHAT.

What a dummy

Raku likes this.
  11. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

What a pleasant surprise - in today's day and age of network television her show was killing it. But glad that was rightfully deemed unacceptable and more important than ratings. As others have said, I'm sure she's being defended by the same people who complained about ESPN firing Curt Schilling.

Bad Frequencies likes this.
  12. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I'm amazed they took the decision mere hours after the tweet and didn't wait for a public outrage before doing the right thing.

13. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Then backed by a bunch of arguments based on a fundamental misunderstanding of what "freedom of speech" actually is. ha.

14. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

The people defending her under the premise of ‘free speech’ makes me embarrassed to be human

CarpetElf and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  15. DooDooBird

Trusted

I'm devastated for all the cast members and crew involved with this show.

Raku, Saephon and JRGComedy like this.
  16. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

The public outrage was immediate. ABC knew letting it go beyond those few hours wouldn’t do them any favours

teebs41 and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  17. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Yeah, it must have been quite a shock for them to find out she's a terrible person.

18. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i mean, they're people who got jobs on one of the biggest shows on television, would have been great for their careers.

it's a bummer that one awful person can take down a lot with them

Raku likes this.
  19. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I seriously think the rest of the cast is going to be alright. Can't necessarily say the same about the crew, I can give you that.

Raku likes this.
  20. Saephon

Regular

"Roseanne"'s goal was to showcase what the average Trump supporter is really like. And it did.

Good riddance to a shit person. I mourn for all of the cast and crew who woke up to losing their jobs because of her.

21. cwhit

oh yeah, i was talking about the crew mostly. the cast are mostly big names but it still sucks for them. i'm sure they were happy to be reviving a prized part of their careers

Raku and CarpetElf like this.
  22. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I mean I see both sides cus on one hand I'm sure they all have great memories together and it was going to be a fun pay day, but I mean yea if you're going to co-sign a show that at it's core is basically trying to humanize Trump supporters and, let's be honest, racists, I'm not going to feel all that bad that it didn't work out for you. I'm not saying those people shouldn't be supported in the future or whatever, but I mean it's not like it was a secret who Roseanne really is. And besides, I'm sure the paychecks they collected over the last year will keep them floating for a while.

^Definitely from a cast perspective more than the crew.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  23. DooDooBird

Trusted

Surely she's an idiot racist and mean spirited. But I'm sure these people know her on a different level than what the public does. I'm sure they're struggling with this as much as anyone.

Raku likes this.
  24. ABC should get zero credit for pulling the plug on this show given that they decided to renew it in the first place. Roseanne Barr has been toxic for awhile.

Chris Prindle, Ugly Mug, Raku and 5 others like this.
  25. cwhit

yup, the only reason they decided to cancel is because the public outcry got too much today with her in the news

Raku and DaydreamNation like this.