Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

James Blake Talks About the “Sad Boy” Label

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 28, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

James Blake has posted a note online about the problem he sees with the “sad boy” label.

But I can’t help but notice, as I do whenever I talk about my feelings in a song, that the words “sad boy” are used to describe it.

I’ve always found that expression unhealthy and problematic when used to describe men just openly talking about their feelings. To label it at all, when we don’t ever question women discussing the things they are struggling with, contributes to the ever disastrous historical stigmatisation of men expressing themselves emotionally.

We are already in an epidemic of male depression and suicide. We don’t need any further proof that we have hurt men with our questioning of their need to be vulnerable and open.

It is only ever a good thing to talk about what is on your mind.

Please don’t allow people who fear their own feelings to ever subliminally shame you out of getting anything off your chest, or identifying with music that helps you. There is no great victory in machismo and bravado in the end. The road to mental health and happiness, which I feel so passionately about, is paved with honesty.

Sorry for this “sad boy” letter, but I’ve seen enough friends drown in this, and almost drowned in it myself because I bottled everything up, afraid of being seen as weak or soft. I now see thegreat strength, and benefit for those around you in actually opening up.

skoopy, artbynickferran and seimagery like this.
  2. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

Always felt the same way about this label, but never really knew how to put it into words. Thank you James :clap:

3. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

hes right

4. skoopy

Regular

As a young man who has struggled with severe depression over the last year or two, one of the most disheartening things is to see fellow males acting with a veil over their emotions and distancing themselves from their own vulnerability out of fear or a deluded mindset. This is just another facet of modern social perception that must change. There is no real stature gained out of being so emotionally disconnected and lacking in empathy that the idea of someone coming to terms with their own struggles is something to scoff at. This label is simply reflective of a broken culture and it is very gratifying to see solidarity in that view from individuals with influence like James. This was an excellently written response on his part.

sawhney[rusted]2 and sophos34 like this.
  5. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

The replies to that tweet are fucking cringy