Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Plans to Change Content Policy, Again

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 25, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Lucas Shaw, writing at Bloomberg:

Facing a rebellion among artists and even some of its own employees, Spotify Technology SA will partially walk back a move to punish musicians for their personal misconduct.

The music-streaming giant has told artists, managers and record-label executives that it will eventually restore songs by XXXTentacion to playlists, according to people with knowledge of the matter. The company’s top executives are talking to the music industry and civil-rights activists about how and when to adjust its rules in a manner suitable to both sides.

I stopped being surprised when companies show their spineless side a long time ago, but this is some eye-rolling bullshit right here. You can choose what kind of platform you want to be and when you are the size of Spotify you can choose how you want to wield your editorial-power.

2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Poop farts

3. Bass0820

Can’t believe Kendrick was threatening to withdraw his music from Spotify over their new policy. What a piece of shit

4. Sander

kflkmflkm

I don't want Spotify to have any editorial power

Raku likes this.
  5. That’s literally what their featured playlists are, so you want no playlists.

sawhney[rusted]2 and St. Nate like this.
  6. josh182

Should we then take off Led Zeppelin, David Bowie or The Beatles by this standard?

7. Orville

why can’t we just have a feature similar to liking and disliking, where you can choose to not support, and then it just never plays that artist for you again by your own choosing?

Raku and chilllll like this.
  8. chilllll

Regular

they have that feature

9. chilllll

Regular

its petty as fuck but at the end of the day spotify cares about money... to them its more important to have kendricks music... the worst part of it all is that xxx's music is poorly mixed and extremely overhyped. i dont mean to hate but i mean seriously the mix is so bad on his songs that you cant even make out what he says because the compression is so high.

10. Jason Tate May 27, 2018
    (Last edited: May 27, 2018)
    I’m comfortable starting with current and future artists and the working backwards and figuring out how to handle past issues. There being problems in the past doesn’t negate the need for a current policy.

Jesse West likes this.
  11. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I mean....no?

Aaron Mook, Larry David and cwhit like this.
  12. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I mean I’m fine with that. It’s just a playlist. People that love those artists can still listen to them if they choose.

St. Nate likes this.
  13. chilllll

Regular

do you actually you think that the new xxx cd is produced well?

14. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

On no planet is that “the worst part of it all”

15. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

"Both sides"

16. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Well, what do you think?

17. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Also demonstrates that a lot of artists aren't confident they themselves couldn't one day be pulled into the spotlight. They'll say it's about creative freedom or some BS like that, but ultimately they're afraid one day it will their songs pulled.

Raku likes this.
  18. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

Raku likes this.
  19. chilllll

Regular

the radio feature does that. just like how pandora does.. also on the daily mixes you can thumbs up or thumbs down songs

20. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

Oh... That's not remotely the same thing. I thumb down every brand new, sorority noise, Jank, etc song that comes on and they still show up daily.

Aaron Mook and Raku like this.
  21. chilllll

Regular

either way works for me... if it doesnt for you try to use pandora

22. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

Thanks for the... Contribution?

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  23. chilllll

Regular