Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Amazon Teams Up With Law Enforcement to Deploy Face Recognition Technology

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 22, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

ACLU:

Marketing materials and documents obtained by ACLU affiliates in three states reveal a product that can be readily used to violate civil liberties and civil rights. Powered by artificial intelligence, Rekognition can identify, track, and analyze people in real time and recognize up to 100 people in a single image. It can quickly scan information it collects against databases featuring tens of millions of faces, according to Amazon.

Amazon is marketing Rekognition for government surveillance. According to its marketing materials, it views deployment by law enforcement agencies as a “common use case” for this technology. Among other features, the company’s materials describe “person tracking” as an “easy and accurate” way to investigate and monitor people. Amazon says Rekognition can be used to identify “people of interest” raising the possibility that those labeled suspicious by governments — such as undocumented immigrants or Black activists — will be seen as fair game for Rekognition surveillance. It also says Rekognition can monitor “all faces in group photos, crowded events, and public places such as airports” — at a time when Americans are joining public protests at unprecedented levels.

2. shea

RIP Supporter

Obviously a drop in the proverbial bucket, but I guess I'll be canceling my Prime membership...

What the fuck.

Raku and CMilliken like this.
  3. Mibabalou

MUFC / NYRB Prestigious

no

Raku, mercury, clucky and 1 other person like this.
  4. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Rekognition sounds like some evil, dystopian entity. They couldn’t give it a softer name? iSpy? Oh, Apple has that already?

Really though, at least it’s out there to be scrutinized. Imagine these type of technologies being used for nefarious purposes without our knowledge. Or maybe that’s already going on... I don’t know.

Just seems so.. bad. But I don’t know if we can really avoid where technology is going or allowing us to go.

Raku and Tata Toothy like this.
  5. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Some black mirror shiz right here.

Raku, supernovagirl and morken like this.
  6. Super cool Amazon has a camera product they want to put in everyones house too. Super cool.

Chcurry182, Davjs, mercury and 7 others like this.
  7. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

It's definitely already happening...check out this from the WSJ today:
    With Pop Star as Bait, China Nabs Suspects Using Facial Recognition

8. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

9. Malatesta

fuck the us military.

10. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

“Thank you for expressing your opinion. You have now been added to several master database listings.”

11. Malatesta

figure at this point i just won't ever get a passport

Raku likes this.
  12. shawnhyphenray

Regular

This sounds scary

Raku likes this.
  13. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Holy yikes

Raku likes this.
  14. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

This makes me profoundly depressed.

Raku and supernovagirl like this.
  15. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

The show Person of Interest is coming to real life!

Raku and noKings like this.
  16. The Mysterious

Yes...but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts

"Data is the new oil" comes to mind now every time privacy is invaded in the name of convenience. Alexa, Xbox Kinect, Google Home, nope nope nope. While in banking, I had a client who had formerly worked in programming for Apple up until 2009. Her phone was never without black electrical tape over both cameras but wouldn't talk about it when asked, only ever said, "you should be doing the same, that's all I can say."

Raku and mercury like this.
  17. noKings

Regular

Holy shit... we're here:

Raku and SmithBerryCrunch like this.