Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How the Music Industry Messed Up Legal Streaming the First Time Around

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 21, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ernie Smith, writing for Motherboard:

In the roughly 24 months between the time Napster shut down its popular free service and Steve Jobs announced the iTunes Music Store to the public, the music industry tried to create legal replacements, but the lack of precedent was a problem. Nobody could figure out exactly what a legal digital music industry was supposed to look like, or how it was supposed to work.

Essie likes this.
  2. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

This article took me back to watching videos of fans burning piles of Metallica CDs on MTV News updates featuring Kurt Loder.

3. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Well put together. The changing of the music industry just in my lifetime and mostly within the last 15-20 or so years is so fascinating. I didn’t realize that there were competing services being pushed by different major labels.

Jobs’ quote rings so true. Whenever I think of the music industry and evolving with the times, the saying, “cut off your nose to spite your face” always comes to mind. But hey, we finally made it here to today! I don’t want to go back to not having millions of songs at my fingertips for $15 a month (and that’s a higher price point then most). For how much I use the service, which is literally all day at work plus outside hours, it’s a STEAL for me while also feeling like I’m paying a fair price for a service.