Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Christina Aguilera – “Fall in Line”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 16, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

This is very very good.

3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Classic christina. Super on brand for her and I could see it somewhat fitting into Stripped aka her magnum opus

Awkward af with her trying to stay neutral on Kanye tho. Like sis. I know he produced some songs off ur album before all this mess came out and ur cursetina with the timing of it all, but no. U don't need to do that.

ryan.conde and Jason Tate like this.
  4. somethingwitty

Trusted

Great time! I don't think she's staying neutral, I just think she's privy to the fact, like almost everyone else in the music industry, that his whole act a couple weeks back was some sort of performance art.

5. No. Just no. You don't get to boost up the worst people in this country through astonishing ignorance and have people pretend it's "performance art."

6. Kiana

Naw she is excusing him for her own gain tbh

7. This song is very good

8. somethingwitty

Trusted

I thought it was pretty obvious he's reinterpreting Joseph Beouys "America, I Love You"? He even alluded to it in his tweets. Theres obviously an endgame to this for him, I think the album is going to reveal that.

9. Gross. He emboldened the worst people and raised their platform to millions of people. Gross. Gross. Gross. What is with people wanting to give a pass to someone that has called rape victims liars and handed his platform to bigots? This would be the worst performance “art” of all time.

10. somethingwitty

Trusted

You understand what Beouys was trying to say in the 70's right? It's all very gross, but good art is about pushing emotional buttons...AGAIN, I'm saying this is fine with me if this is what he's doing...if he's just trolling or truly embraces these views authentically its disgusting.

11. sawhney[rusted]2 May 17, 2018
    (Last edited: May 17, 2018)
    sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

What piece are you referencing here? Buey's "I Like America and America Likes Me"?

JOSEPH BEUYS: I LIKE AMERICA AND AMERICA LIKES ME

There's a very large difference between what Beuys was doing and what Kanye was "doing" in the name of "performance art" (if we're going with that angle). There's a nuance and subtley to Beuys performance piece that Kanye sorely lacks, and contextually its flipped in the way that Beuys interacted with his piece and how it relates to his interaction with "America". Kanye doing what he did over the last few weeks should not be graded by its intent. He rightfully deserves the scathing critiques that he's receiving.

12. somethingwitty

Trusted

Yes, this is the piece I was referring to. He vaguely referenced him like 3 weeks ago, and then a couple nods to Andy Kaufmann...as well as his tweet about reproducing others art in,a different age led me to believe this is what he was doing.

13. Kiana

Even if it was performance art, how dangerous, irresponsible, and damaging would that be. Like it honestly wouldn't be any better because his actions have consequences.

14. somethingwitty

Trusted

I completely get what you're saying but he's a entertainer, I don't take anything he says as gospel, same with our entertainer President, they're all a joke. I just think if he is doing a PA piece it's interesting and valid....again, it could all just be another manic episode, so who knows.