Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Beastie Boys Detail Their Massive ‘Beastie Boys Book’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 15, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Calum Slingerland, writing at Exclaim:

The 592-page Beastie Boys Book will arrive October 30 through Spiegel & Grau. Authored by Ad-Rock and Mike D, the book will also feature contributions from Amy Poehler, Colson Whitehead, Spike Jonze, Wes Anderson, Luc Sante and more.

dylan and theredline like this.
  2. theredline

Trusted Supporter

This looks amazing.

3. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

Wonder what Amy Poehler has to contribute to a book about the Beastie Boys

Woohoo! likes this.
  4. Woohoo!

Regular

I'm sure she'll steal some interesting content.

5. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I am really curious about that Beasti boys map of NY.

dylan likes this.
  7. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

Still, theres like 30 cameos in this video. The other contributors have a much more direct link to the band. Interested to see the final product.

8. How do you know she doesn't? She's worked with them in the past.

9. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

That was my original post - I don't. Wondering what her connection was. What has she done with them in the past?

10. ... I just showed you the video of them working together dude.

11. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

It seemed like you were referring to some other work they had done together.

My point was that there was a ton of random celebs in that video. Just saying if that's all they've done together, its an odd choice for a contributor spot. I'm interested to see if their working relationship extended past that one music video from 2011. Pretty clear we're both unsure so we'll have to wait and see.

12. And if those other people, that had worked with the band and were fans, were writing something for the book here too that wouldn't be "odd" either. The band helped put this all together, and it contains:
    In addition to candid writing by Mike D and Ad-Rock themselves about their career, the book will feature illustrations, photos, a cookbook by Roy Choi, mixtape playlists, and original essays and other material by Amy Poehler, Colson Whitehead, Spike Jonze, Wes Anderson, Luc Sante, and more.

I think the comment of "Wonder what Amy Poehler has to contribute to a book about the Beastie Boys" and singling her out ... is weird.

13. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

...right.

14. shawnhyphenray

Regular

I am very excited for this

15. Ska Senanake

Trusted

She's in this video, maybe some insight on the shoot? It's an amazing video. A cherry on top of an amazing career.

16. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I heard Amy Poehler wrote "Sabotage"

bachna84, IATAvalanche, Essie and 2 others like this.
  17. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

Amy mentions that she used to blast Beastie Boys when she first moved to Chicago and that she's friends with Ad-Rock in her book. So she probably has some interesting/funny stuff to contribute.

Essie and Jason Tate like this.
  18. theredline May 16, 2018
    (Last edited: May 16, 2018)
    theredline

Trusted Supporter

Amy Poehler looks like she doesn’t want to be there.

Kingjohn_654 and IATAvalanche like this.