Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ben Gibbard Reflects on ‘Narrow Stairs’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 14, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Stereogum sat down with Death Cab For Cutie’s Ben Gibbard to talk about the ten year anniversary of Narrow Stairs:

I look back at that period of writing and it was really a much more personal, confessional period, even in relation to the albums on either side of it. To put it in context, we had made Transatlanticism, The O.C. happened, the band’s profile kind of grew exponentially very quickly, and then we signed to a major label. That process and that period of change and growth, having a whole new group of new people we were putting records out with at Atlantic Records versus the four people that worked at Barsuk, it was a stressful time. We signed to Atlantic because we wanted to reach more people. We worked harder than we’d ever worked before, we toured more than we’d ever toured before, we were doing so much press, the profile of the band had just really blown up.

2. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

I'm old

Essie, j0hnnyrt and Spencer Rhoton like this.
  3. Holy fuck. It's already been TEN years?

Youarcade likes this.
  4. Sybil

Regular

This is one of my favorite albums by them. I cant believe it's been 10 years, it feels....like maybe 5.

Gooddayz likes this.
  5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Their references/appearance on the OC are iconic

67f55c30-231c-0133-46b2-0a2ca390b447.gif