Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness – “Ohio”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 10, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Andrew McMahon has released his new song “Ohio.”

Andrew also posted this message with the song:

I’ve been known to talk about the songs I’ve written. Sometimes I’m asked to and other times I just feel like talking. If I’m being completely honest though, I don’t feel so desperately inclined to speak about “Ohio”. What I can say is that this past thanksgiving, after four years, two records and all the touring that went along with a full career reboot I finally settled down long enough to get some perspective. The thought was I would take some time off, do an acoustic run in the spring and figure out what comes next when i returned. What happened was something altogether different and really kind of beautiful. In the midst of living the closest thing to a normal home life I could imagine for myself, I began to write. Not for anything or anyone. There was no goal, no deadline, no story I was trying to tell. Just the hours in the day when Cecilia was off at school or everyone had gone to bed or whatever, that I felt like sitting in my little back house studio and making noises until they sounded like music. In the middle of it all this song appeared. I hadn’t intended to write it. It’s rare for me to dig so far into my memory, but in this case the call was not one that could go unanswered. Ohio is about my families pilgrimage from a small town in Ohio to the coast of California. I call it a pilgrimage because that’s how it felt. At least that’s how I remember it. I suppose it’s one thing to run away but it’s another be pulled down the road by what feels like the hand of fate. But there I go again, talking about a song.

2. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

I'm currently living in Ohio, so that's neat. Also pleasant song.

3. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I love this. I like it much better than the songs he released for the last one.

4. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Pleasant but not sure I like it that much.

5. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

It’s fine

6. Beholdtheriver

Regular

Greatest state in the Union

Turkeylegz likes this.
  7. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Might be one of my favorite in the Wilderness songs...more reminiscent of Jack's Mannequin

8. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I like this. Kinda a springsteen vibe?

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Sounds like it could've been a B-Side had he recorded it along with the last album.

10. DearCory

Regular

Super strong People and Things vibes from the lyrics and melody... the synth and vocal effects give it the AMITW touch... I dig it

11. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

It's okay but not amazing. Has somewhat of a more Jack's feel than most of his other Wilderness stuff which I like.

12. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I dig it - if you listen to it at 1.25, it absolutely sounds like a JM song.

13. The Format

Regular

Not bad but it's no Hawthorne Heights. :peace:

:hearno:

14. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

Speaking of Ohio songs...

15. The Format

Regular

Also

16. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I like it. Sounds like a Glass Passenger song to me.

DarkMatterHotSauce likes this.
  17. emersontheauthor

Regular

He played this last night in Dallas and said it would be released today. I really like it! Laid-back nostalgic vibe.

18. Butinsmallsteps

Regular

I like it. Nothing about it really screams interesting but it is enjoyable.

Mr. Serotonin and smowashere like this.
  19. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

This song HITS HOME for me. I was born and raised in Cleveland, and 8 years ago I moved away. While it was for Tennessee not California, the lyrics of this song are relatable as hell to me.

20. Craig Manning

I was also born in Cleveland, though I moved away when I was 3. Haha

He confirmed on Twitter that Butch Walker produced.

21. mationation

I think God's a painter

is your head still intact

22. Craig Manning

23. mationation

I think God's a painter

i'm so pumped. this is the realization of a childhood fantasy.

butch is the guy to bring out the best in andrew -- which has always been his songwriting and emotional resonance

24. duritzfan13

all we have is time

God I love this song so much. Dude has such a way with words.

How? The production style is totally different haha. Listening to this next to a track off the last record is like night and day. Both great though. There's definitely a new album coming

anonimito and Bad Frequencies like this.
  25. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I gave this a shot and it should have been recorded that way, ha. I like the song a lot but to my ear it sounds better faster.

Mick likes this.