Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mark Hoppus Gives Hint at Sound of New Blink-182 Songs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 8, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Mark Hoppus has commented on Twitter that Blink-182 are working on new music, and while it’s early, it sounds like, “they pick up where Take Off Your Pants and Jacket left off.”

My thoughts? Darker and more riff based/faster/poppy stuff like TOYPAJ sounds great to me. The biggest hurdle isn’t melodies (Mark’s so good at this) or Feldmann’s production or instrumentation (Matt should feel more comfortable bringing guitar parts to this album) … it’ll be the lyrical content and if they decide to take it up a notch and write about stuff that’s deeper than what they did last time. Make it matter and have some weight. If Mark and Matt do that, I think it’ll be great. If they don’t, the songs will suffer.

beachdude42 and jorbjorb like this.
  2. The Format

Regular

upload_2018-5-8_13-53-6.png

3. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

Definitely felt like they were holding back and trying not to rock the boat too much on California as far as lyrics go. I think a lot of this had to do with Matt feeling like he had to conform to what people expected from a Blink 182 record. I'd like to see a few songs on this next record that scream Matt Skiba lyrically, but with that good old Blink 182 sound.

beachdude42 likes this.
  4. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I agree with your thoughts completely. One of the things that excited me about Matt being in the band is the weight his lyrics often have. Mark can obviously do the same but they did not show up much in California. I want the songs to stick with me beyond driving songs in summer.

beachdude42 likes this.
  5. CMilliken

Trusted

Sold my copy of California awhile ago. Just didn’t stick with me at all unfortunately. Lyrical content is going to be huge for me on this next one.

6. Zeke

Regular

That sounds interesting and logical. They have returned back with California, found new fans. And now it's time to evolve again.

7. Seconded on your thoughts, Jason

8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Saw they were in the studio again with Feldman via Mark's Instagram story. Not super pumped about that. But still excited to see what they put out.

9. tomtom94

Trusted

I don't think we can look too much into a statement at this stage. I think bands are contractually obligated to say that any new material sounds like

a) their most popular album
    b) their other popular album that was a bit different
    c) a cross between their two most popular albums

10. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah, I actually agree with everything you said Jason. The lyrical content is what really prevented California from having any lasting value for me. I was fine with most of the song structures themselves (although I'd love something closer to Untitled, I don't think we'll get it), but the lyrics on that album really have felt to me like they thought they had to write about certain things because "that's what Blink-182 is". It rarely felt genuine, which is a shame because I know those guys could still wow me with a song if they go in the direction you're hoping.

11. IAmMikeWhite

@IAmMikeWhite Supporter

More than anything, I find that how bands hear, digest, and interpret their own music is often dramatically different from the way a fan-base hears it. It's like how a community can (for the most part) pretty amicably categorize a band, but if you ask a band what they sound like, it's impossible to get a straight answer. Mark simply can't objectively fathom what TOYPAJ sounds like relative to the rest of the music he loves but didn't write.

Essie and theasteriskera like this.
  12. jeff.dart

Regular

I don't necessarily need a darker sound, and in fact would welcome a progression from toypaj.

Agreed that the lyrics need to be a little more versatile and age-appropriate. The majority of songs were fine, content wise, but songs like teenage satellites and kings of the weekend just didn't really resonate with me and really took me out of the album whenever I listened to it, even more so than the joke songs, which is weird to say.

Nolessthanblink likes this.
  13. Stevie

Regular

I hope it sounds more like the deeper cuts from TOYPAJ than the singles. I’ll be happy with that but I don’t want an album that sounds like The Rock Show/Out Of Her Mind.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  14. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

TOYPAJ is my favorite blink record. I don't care that I'm in the minority; every single song is a banger. A throwaway song like "Give Me One Good Reason" is still a titanic song, and if they go there, I'm 100% in.

I also loved California (more than most on here, it seems) but if the group wants to evolve into this de-evolution, I'm there.

15. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Said it before, but I'd honestly be down if it was a true blink-182 meets A3 mashup. California was that to a degree, but it was very blink and very, safe kinda. If there were more Matt moments on this thing, Id be down. These guys work well together

16. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

TOYPAJ is my fav, like you said every song is a banger, it's the one record I wish I had on vinyl from them.

17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I love Shut Up, Online Songs, and Everytime I Look For You.

18. zerotimeseleven

Their last record was shallow and cheesy lyrically, but had some really good jams.

19. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

This post feels like when Fox & Friends telegraphs policy suggestions directly to Trump, haha. Except not evil!

Dumblecore and Jason Tate like this.
  20. jorbjorb

7 rings

I agree about the lyric content. I think I'm over fart jokes finally at 28.

21. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

new single titled "we like cops"

22. Walkabout

Regular

No Tom, no care