Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kanye West in the Age of Donald Trump

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 7, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ta-Nehisi Coates, writing in The Atlantic:

There’s nothing original in this tale and there’s ample evidence, beyond West, that humans were not built to withstand the weight of celebrity. But for black artists who rise to the heights of Jackson and West, the weight is more, because they come from communities in desperate need of champions. Kurt Cobain’s death was a great tragedy for his legions of fans. Tupac’s was a tragedy for an entire people. When brilliant black artists fall down on the stage, they don’t fall down alone. The story of West “drugged out,” as he put it, reduced by the media glare to liposuction, is not merely about how he feels about his body. It was that drugged-out West who appeared in that gaudy lobby, dead-eyed and blonde-haired, and by his very presence endorsed the agenda of Donald Trump.

I highly recommend reading this entire piece.

Anna Acosta likes this.
  2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Poopy-di scoop
    Scoop-diddy-whoop
    Whoop-di-scoop-di-poop
    Poop-di-scoopty
    Scoopty-whoop
    Whoopity-scoop, whoop-poop
    Poop-diddy, whoop-scoop
    Poop, poop
    Scoop-diddy-whoop
    Whoop-diddy-scoop
    Whoop-diddy-scoop, poop

tyramail likes this.
  3. Slowly reading this in lulls at work. Coates is such an incredible writer.

sean_rugy and Jason Tate like this.
  4. Fox83

Trusted

Look forward to reading this. I studied some of Coates' work in grad school, so this will be interesting for sure.

5. ZeoVGM

Regular

An interesting article that doesn't hit as well as it should have for me due to him pushing the idea that Michael Jackson was trying to be white.

That has been done to death and debunked. Michael did not want to be white.

Saephon likes this.
  6. Hmm, that’s not what I took from the metaphor or what he was saying about MJ, and viewing MJ’s career, from his perspective.

7. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

“Kanye West, a God in his own time”. Fuck. Right. Off.

justin. likes this.
  8. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Man, if you are gonna be an asshole about it, at least get the line right.

It’s: “Kanye West, a God in this time...”