Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Arctic Monkeys Won’t Release Any Songs Before Album Release

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Arctic Monkeys confirmed in Mojo Magazine that they are not going to be releasing any songs from their upcoming album early:

“Jamie was really keen on that idea, and I guess people at Domino,” he said. “But it didn’t come from me. I understand it, I think.”

2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

That's kinda tight, actually.

3. zerotimeseleven

I can't get over how the band looks in that picture. Just look at Alex's goatee and hair. He actually made that choice himself. I'm going to be nauseous.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  4. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I think that looks fine. Are the two guys on the right the same person though? It'd almost look like 3 of them are the same if they had the same colour eyes :crylaugh:

5. CMilliken

Trusted

More bands need to do this. Nothing makes me more upset than when a band releases 5 of the 10 tracks on the album before it’s out.

6. zerotimeseleven

I agree. Unless they're doing a full stream or something like how Gorillaz did for Plastic Beach where you couldn't select the songs, you had to listen to the whole album on loop to hear what you missed. That was pretty cool.

CMilliken and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  7. transrebel59

Regular

I'm sure he was worried if you'd approve of his appearance.

moosic and HarrisonMonopoly like this.
  8. Nothing?

I mean ... just don't listen to them. It's super easy to not listen to things.

9. zerotimeseleven

Don't you know? Alex and I go way back. I told him multiple times not to do this because I'd be cross with him and he still did it! What a scamp.

moosic likes this.
  10. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

ComedownMachine likes this.
  11. Guilherme Brandao

Regular

All the descriptions I read about this album has me somewhat worried.

One place said that the album was made only of songs kind of “N º 1 Party Anthem". That is really worrisome for me because I find that song incredibly boring.

Don't know.

AM was a letdown for me. Left the impression they were more concerned with their appearance than with their sound.

Let's hope for the best; but I'm waiting for the worst.

All this stuff aside, I thought this decision was really interesting.

12. CMilliken

Trusted

I usually will only listen to the first single and then try really hard to avoid others. Just think it’s really cool. They’re not giving anyone a hint or feel for the new album. That is gonna make a fun first listen in my opinion.

zerotimeseleven likes this.
  13. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I actually like when bands release their record in whole like that. Everyone can go in with fresh ears. I love hearing everything front to back for the first time. Sometimes I don't have the willpower to not listen to pre-release singles!

14. I think this is pretty fucking cool

CMilliken and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  15. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

For anyone that still buys music on iTunes like my old school self, the most annoying thing is when a band releases a single from an upcoming album but lists it as a single on iTunes and then when the album comes out you need to repurchase that song as part of the album or iTunes won't recognize it as coming from the album.

CMilliken likes this.
  16. zerotimeseleven

AM had a few great songs, but I actually completely agree. It was a major letdown for me as well. If the new album is all songs like "No. 1 Party Anthem" I don't think I'll be following them anymore because clearly they've chosen a direction that's drastically different from why I started enjoying them.

Guilherme Brandao likes this.
  17. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I'm super pumped for this. Only a few more weeks and I actually like the whole album at once approach. I don't have the self control to not listen to singles anymore but can remember the feelings back in the day when I did and how great it was to just hit play and start listening. My commute to work that day will be fantastic. Also super excited I got tickets for their tour (though I hope I don't hate the album and regret that decision).

CMilliken likes this.
  18. ohitsjustrob

"The only truth is music." Supporter

79970E73-76B7-4135-AD18-D99F1B199E6D.jpeg

19. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

I hope they throw in as many englishisms as they can on this record

SamLevi11 likes this.
  20. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I can't help but think people speculating wildly the way you are was one of the reasons they took this approach

Guilherme Brandao likes this.
  21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

The exact reason I never buy singles unless they're part of the actual album preorder

Bayside 182 and CMilliken like this.
  22. CMilliken

Trusted

Some bands manage it well. Nothing, Nowhere. and Matt and Kim I’ve noticed have worked their single releases into their albums so you still get that discount when buying the full album.

Bayside 182 likes this.
  23. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I'm all about this, but I love a lead single released beforehand to really highten expectations. Usually the most energetic or catchiest. I love that feeling when you and loads of others are all at fever pitch after the first single and are waiting for the album.

I loved AM but hopefully they don't get more subdued, I like when this band finds the mix between the hazy new stuff and the chaos of their older material.

24. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

It appears that Alex has become Jack from This Is Us.