Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘I Fundamentally Believe That My Time at Reddit Made the World a Worse Place’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Noah Kulwin, writing at NY Mag:

First, I’ll say there were very few decisions made. I think that the biggest problem that Reddit had and continues to have, and that all of the platforms, Facebook and Twitter, and Discord now continue to have is that they’re not making decisions, is that there is absolutely no active thought going into their problems — problems that are going to exist in coming months or years — and what they can do to combat them.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  2. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I know this place is generally anti-reddit, but I browse it a ton, and I honestly have the opposite opinion of most on how i view the majority of the site. If you just browse the front page, it's generally a pretty positive, inclusive place and I see very little hate speech and if it does pop up, it gets shut down pretty quickly by the majority of the users. I find myself surprised often with how collectively progressive some threads seem. You really have to look for the content that makes it get such a bad reputation. Having said that though, I understand and mostly agree with the stance that sites have to held accountable for the content they allow and that even if it's 'hidden', it's still there. The idea though that reddit is a giant cesspool where all the scumbags gather, is a bit hyperbolic and unrepresentative of the majority of conversations that go on there each day. I often find thought provoking, enlightening and flat out interesting topics there on the daily. Again though, that's not to excuse the behind the scenes vile content, but I would disagree with anyone who takes the hard stance to just shut the whole thing down because nothing good comes out of it, only bad.

3. Jared Luttrell

Regular

I agree completely. I spend a lot of time on subs for my favorite hobbies and interests, and in general the majority of reddit is similar. Unfortunately we can't ignore that Reddit is also willing host to and in turn enable some hateful and dangerous gathering places for the alt right and racists.

coleslawed and Ska Senanake like this.
  4. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Reddit rules. Of course there r shitty people on it but some of the subreddit communities are absolutely fantastic.

5. Y'all should read the article.

6. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I did before posting. As a site and community manager, and one who takes a complete opposite stance that Reddit does, (not allowing any harmful behavior to go unchecked here), I am sure you got a lot more out of it and are expecting more insightful response but I have to honestly admit that I approached the article from a narrow perspective, that being that the content I stumble across, and the content I seek out on reddit, is far from the harassment, bullying, hateful side the article focuses on. I have found some very inclusive communities to discuss my interests at, and I am amazed at some of the random tidbits of knowledge I've picked up from browsing the front page. I think the interview is honest, but I think it's meant to inspire an anti reddit outlook (he obviously was hurt by his role in events and the lack of action during his time). I think his opinion is harsh about fundamentally believing that reddit is making the world a worse place, but he worked there, I didn't, and all I know is what the article is telling me.

I do admit that the management of the site has had it's problems (some of them rather serious) but it's getting better. I'm happy to see, and hope to continue to see the purging of hateful subreddits, but I don't want the site to go under, or maintain a reputation as a toxic community because of a minority. Reddit is kind of an anomaly, because it's a place where like minded individuals gather to form communities, and some of them straddle some pretty fine lines between legally/morally acceptable. I think a clear cut definition for what's okay and not okay needs to be created and adhered to and that way the weird communities, that most people will turn their nose at, but don't harm anyone can stay, and the communities designed to sow hatred and division and illegal activity, can be purged.