Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexual Harassment Was Rampant at Coachella 2018

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Vera Papisova, writing for Teen Vogue:

Despite all of that, this year’s Coachella experience was also full of moments I never saw on Instagram: being repeatedly violated by strangers. In the three days I was at Coachella, I only spent a total of 10 hours at the actual festival, where I watched numerous performances and interviewed festivalgoers about their experience with sexual assault and harassment for Teen Vogue. During the 10 hours I was reporting on this story, I was groped 22 times.

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

22 people need to get punched in the dick

Saephon and oakhurst like this.
  3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

god, humanity is a cesspool.

Joe4th, skogsraet and oakhurst like this.
  4. web250

I'll change this eventually Prestigious

Yup, pretty much.

While the story does mention some people intervening or saying something to stop the harassment, it's amazing to me that more people don't.

Saephon likes this.
  5. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

This is saddening to hear.

6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

festival culture is the worst

Saephon, Turkeylegz and RobJGolde like this.
  7. DearCory

Regular

Are we supposed to be surprised by this report?

8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I don't think we're supposed to be surprised I think we're supposed to be disgusted and then work to try and shift the culture

9. DearCory

Regular

touche. From my perspective I've known this to have been happening for 10+ years of going to shows... it's happened to my friends, my wife, me... and I looked at it from the selfish perspective of "yes, I know this" but maybe this article wasn't meant for the "small group" (I can't think of how else to describe it) of us that know this happens at shows and concerts, but for the masses that don't know or are participating in it

10. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Pretty terrible that Coachella doesn't even attempt to help or inform concert goers.

skogsraet likes this.
  11. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Coachella is trash.

Furman, Saephon and Turkeylegz like this.
  12. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

\when i was 13 ('06) and was planning for my first concert, warped tour, every site dedicated to WT basically had a tip saying "if you're a woman don't crowd surf because you *will* get touched inappropriately (typically would explain this in more graphic detail) just like it was a thing you have to plan for, like making sure you have sunscreen, or a cold bottle of water.

13. RobJGolde

I saw a girl at Warped Tour 2008 in Camden, NJ have her bikini top torn off while crowd-surfing during Norma Jean's set. I was standing at the back of the crowd and I watched her get hoisted up and immediately thought "oh no, some asshole is going to pull her top off". Luckily though, the security guard who caught her at the barricade, hopped into the crowd and managed to retrieve it for her which I thought was a pretty cool of him.

Butinsmallsteps and Saephon like this.
  14. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

This. This kind of behavior angers and embarrasses me.

15. Iamhollywood315

Regular

Just look at the kind of people that go to that shitfest. Yuppies, bros, fuck boi’s. You couldn’t pay me to camp around with those molly tripping clowns

Saephon, Turkeylegz and RobJGolde like this.
  16. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Friendly reminder that you may "know" this will happen, but you need to take action against it. Speak the fuck up when you see this happening at shows. Do something about it. Especially if you're a man.

17. It happens at the shows and in the scenes you attend just as much. Also, I’m not super into this “fuck boy” slang. Let’s not do that.

18. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

things I have had to do in our scene, which is allegedly not full of yuppies, bros, or drug users:
    -pull a man to the ground by his backback because he used a teenage girl's chest as a starting point to crowd surf. didn't think, just wanted him away from her.
    -pretend to know girls who are being harassed by dudes at shows so they can get away
    -get between two guys about to fight in the pit because one was mad that the other accidentally dropped him while he was crowdsurfing. agro guy decided the best way to resolve this was by calling the other guy a f** so I punched him in the throat
    -leave crowds several times because of men trying to put their hands on me in inappropriate ways
    -herd teenage girls away from unnecessarily aggressive men trying to drag them into pits
    -stop a man who was trying to lead a drunk girl away from the crowd while she was crying that she had a headache and didn't know who he was

I could go on forever, I've been going to shows since I was 15, but the point is that this isn't a Coachella problem, it's a cultural one.

19. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

the only time i've ever had to get physical with someone at a concert was when someone at an ETID show stage dove into an empty area of the crowd, perpendicularly so that his chest came right at my head, and his boots hit the girl beside me in the face. So i mean....

20. Iamhollywood315

Regular

ETID shows have been the rowdiest shows I’ve seen. You kinda have to expect any kind of shenanigans during their set. People will still be dicks though. On another note for Jason, yes this shit happens all over too. Back in like 97 in Upstate NY there was a modern rock fest called krockathon and there was a booth were you would finger paint on girls and it ended up turning into a line where men would line up pay $5 and dip there hands in paint and grope teenagers breast’s. It was pretty fucked up. Also people would do the same to woman crowd surfing. That was the last time I went to that dumpster fire.

21. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Rowdy doesn't have to mean disrespectful, and either way, this goes back to what a few people are saying ITT of "well saying you expect it isn't an excuse". I'm sure keith & the boys are not exactly thrilled at seeing people in the crowd get hurt.

SuNDaYSTaR and Aaron Mook like this.
  22. Paul SantaMaria

Im alot older than most of you folks but ill tell you this sexuall harrassment at concerts has been going on for years not as prevalent as it is now but back at a concert I attended here in upstate NY back in the eighties a young girl had passed out outside a venue after a concert her blouse was torn open, a few feet away were some guys that looked like they were going to try some shit, I walked over to her while I told my friend to go find a cop, blocked her with my coat till the cop showed up and got her out of there away from the little scumbags that were definitely going to do something to her. I hate when guys try to take advantage of women, I was definitely ready to throw down if it had come to that.

23. I am not going to buy for one single second that sexual harassment is more rampant now than in decades past.

We just have social media now and people tend to talk about it more.

24. RobJGolde

I agree completely. With that Warped Tour incident, I didn’t see who did it. I was way at the back and just saw a hand pull at the girls top. In retrospect, I probably should’ve moved in closer knowing that that was going to happen and that I could’ve probably gotten a better glance at who did it.

25. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Don't know why I scrolled down to see the replies to Vera's tweet. A dude genuinely asking "Curious, what were you wearing". Because you know, whatever you're wearing is a formal statement of whether or not it's okay for you to be sexually assaulted.