Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cardi B Tops the Charts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Cardi B has the number one album in the country this week:

The set, which was released on April 6 through The KSR Group/Atlantic Records, earned 255,000 equivalent album units in the week ending April 12, according to Nielsen Music. That’s the second-biggest week of 2018, trailing only the arrival of Justin Timberlake’s Man of the Woods, which bowed with 293,000 units on the Feb. 17-dated chart.

For those curious Underoath and The Wonder Years both sold around 21,000 copies of their new albums in the first week.

2. Stevangelion

We Can (Not) Make It Alone.

Ugh…

Helloelloallo and RyanPm40 like this.
  3. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Great numbers but I'm sure it's pretty much what everyone was expecting (or did she exceed?). I personally don't see the appeal in any way, but i do see where she fits into the current market and can understand and applaud her success even while staying completely away from the album.

The billboard chart also has a little more variety than i thought which is good to see, but it's still pretty skewed towards hip hop. It amazes me how out of all the people in the country, and the variety of music tastes, how one note the top spotify and steamed songs always are. I'm probably out of touch as I don't recognize half of the rappers on there and I'd probably get them all confused. I can't remember who has what color dreads and face tattoos.

theasteriskera likes this.
  4. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I expected Underoath to sell a good bit more than that especially with all ticket sales on their tour comes with a download of the album, and not just because of that.

5. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

hale yeah, cardi dropped a fun album. her personality is addicting and she works hard. did yall not see her rap ALL her verses and twerk while being pregnant at coachella?? girl deserves it

Mary V, atticusfinch, jlinitz and 5 others like this.
  6. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

That seems like a really solid number for TWY. I don't know what they normally do, but I didn't expect them to be quite that high.

Honestly enjoyed the Cardi album quite a bit, and agree that she is just someone you want to root for. It's going to be exciting watching her career develop.

7. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Numbers sound good for TWY. How much did NCTH sell?

8. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I get your point, but I also think it's funny that your view of pregnant rapper twerking = hard working success story is completely opposite to how a lot of other people would view Cardi b. I'm somewhere in the middle. She's working the system and more power to her. I just can't stand what equates to artistry and quality music these days, but I can't hate on those working hard and making it work for them.

theasteriskera likes this.
  9. aniafc

Trusted

NCTH did 22k for comparison and landed at #12. Will be interesting to see where this falls on the charts.

10. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

They posted chart info on instagram. Or maybe Hopeless did.

11. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

why can't cardi be respected as an artist as well as a hard working individual?

12. Arry

you can argue that many, many artists works the system, how is cardi any different? she's HAS to ride the hype momentum. she knows this or else she'd be at home nursing her future child. doing all of this promo/performances while pregnant is nuts. a lot of clout chasin soundcloud rappers wouldn't even rap their entire verses, but here's Cardi rapping word for word which is very rare now a days (referring to her coachella performance). she's having fun and it's addicting. idk, there's nothing much more to it, you either like it or you don't. i just don't think she gets the respect she deserves outside of rap.

Mary V, jlinitz, AshlandATeam and 3 others like this.
  13. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

I don't know if they released the charts yet, but in the press release where they announce cardi's #1 record, they mention post malone is #9 with 36k copies, and lil xan is 10th with 29,000- so my guess is that UO + TWY fell somewhere around #11-15.

14. SFguitar

Regular

SMH at the people supporting Cardi B in here. You guys are why mainstream music is as shitty as it is right now.

Helloelloallo likes this.
  15. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

You're why no one likes music with guitars.

cybele, Robk, CoffeeEyes17 and 8 others like this.
  16. Arry

lmao [insert old man yelling cloud/born in the wrong generation/get off my lawn here]

17. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

You can't spell "crap" without "rap" just sayin

18. Thomas Nassiff

i wrote it down for you Verified

for what it's worth ... the 21K that Jason mentioned for Underoath and Wonder Years is a number consisting only of album sales without streaming, while all the numbers that Billboard mentions do include streaming.

bands like that don't get as big a boost from the streaming numbers which is why the top 10 is mostly made up of the type of music that is more popular / gets streamed more. Underoath / TWY sold the fourth and fifth most albums this week, but it's when you include the streaming numbers that they slide out of the top ten.

19. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Didn't Cardi start out a stripper from the bronx? She is the definition of working hard for her come up. She deserves all her success. No less deserving than some white guy with a guitar whining about his hometown (no hate I whine about my hometown all the time and don't even get paid for it!!!)

20. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  21. Kiana

HOLD THE PHONE nobody told me she had a song with Bad Bunny and J Balvin brb gonna bop

Arry and Serh like this.
  22. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I don't get how you couldn't root for her. Every interview she does is adorable and she's obviously very hard working, plus the album bangs.

23. Kiana

She has to succeed because I'm rooting for this friendship

tumblr_p6z9bsrPrW1umvny5o1_500.gif

tumblr_p6z9bsrPrW1umvny5o2_500.gif

tumblr_p6z98mKoVI1qhub34o2_r1_500.gif

24. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

No Closer To Heaven debuted at number 12 with 22,144 copies sold in the first week. It's basically the same. Nothing dramatic like Whitechapel.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  25. Kiana

Officially here for this LATIN MUSIC DOMINANCE