Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years Stream New Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Melody Bot Apr 3, 2018
    (Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2018)
    Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

kwilcox likes this.
  2. bloodinthesand

Regular

AMAZING!!!

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  3. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Is the link broken for anyone else? Dying to listen!

4. CMilliken Apr 3, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 4, 2018)
    CMilliken

Trusted

Trying to hold out until Friday!

Edit: actually been listening all morning thanks to the band for sending out digital downloads early!!

5. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

This is one of the only times I’ve streamed an album early.
    Holy shit this is good.

CMilliken and Colby Searcy like this.
  6. danskoldberg

hmm.. these melodies and vocal patterns are getting pretttty repetitive. Was hoping for more experimentation on that front.
    Solid production though, might come back to this for 'Flowers' and 'We look like lightening'

paperlung likes this.
  7. ViTO

@vitopagano It Must Get Lonely

LOVE IT !!!

8. defmytones

Regular

This is just. Wow. Incredible.

9. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

resist ryan resist

10. Gallhammer

Angry Lesbian / Music Lover

This sounds pretty nice. First time I've listened to this band in a while.

11. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

It's wonderful. Deep, poetic, and heart-breakingly wonderful.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. Spencer Young

Don't ask me why.

The album was also emailed to those who pre-ordered the album. My current thoughts:
    Raining in Kyoto is not their best opener (can't beat There, There), but it's a gut punch.
    The only "gang vocal" in the whole album can be found in "It Must Get Lonely" - this is something I'm perfectly okay with. They've almost completely dropped their pop-punk influences here, IMO. Outside of a few guitar chords that are reminiscent of the "suburbia-era" (I can't believe I'm creating a vocabulary for this band), they've fully embraced an alt-rock sound.
    Other standouts include "Flowers Where Your Face Should Be," "We Look Like Lightning," "The Ghosts of Right Now" and "The Ocean Grew Hands to Hold Me." Musically, I'm especially impressed with "Ghosts", as it plays like a huge arena rock song with substance. Guitar solo and everything. Good shit. Lyrically, the line from Lightning is sticking with me: "What song do you want to die to?"

summertimejesus and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Think I'll hold out for Friday. Hoping this leaves a more lasting impact on me that their last album, which I really enjoyed but quickly forgot about and hardly return to listen through.

Jared Luttrell and Colby Searcy like this.
  14. Stevie

Regular

My love/hate relationship with this band continues. Love this album. I like the fact it draws on the darker sounds of bands like Jimmy Eat World and The Cure and mixes if with classic Wonder Years melodies.

15. LosManosFuertes

Love This Place Supporter

Just went through this last night and gotta say I'm digging it. I felt it to be a little repetitive as well, but I also just had it on in the background. This is also driving me to go on a Wonder Years kick haha.

16. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Hmmm, I should check it out!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  17. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Damn...I'm going to hold out till its release as tough as that may be.

18. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  19. thevastminority

Regular

Sick!

20. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Holding out for the official release. I hope this one sticks with me as much as Greatest Generation.

summertimejesus likes this.
  21. oneeightytwo

Regular

Wonderful record. This band continues to grow.

summertimejesus likes this.
  22. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

summertimejesus and Jason Tate like this.
  23. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

This album is amazing and a perfect step forward from the No Closer to Heaven sound.

I've probably listened 6 times since I got the e-mail and I'll probably listen 4 more times today. No band hits me like TWY.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  24. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Holding out until tomorrow.

General question: is this record closer sounding to the title track, No Closer or TGG? Or a mix of all of them?

No Closer is maybe one of the most disappointing records overall that I've heard in years, even though some songs are incredible - that's just my bias showing. And it's their own fault for having such an amazing peak catalog that I hold them to a higher standard than most other bands. But while I was more impressed by "Sister Cities" as a song, I still feel like it falls short of TGG.

25. For whatever this is worth, most of us over in the album thread agree that the title track is the worst song on the record.

fredwordsmith likes this.