Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dustin Kensrue Talks About His Gear

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. jorbjorb

7 rings

I wonder how much they paid him to use that crap lol.

3. Iamhollywood315

Regular

Seriously, Line 6 is some of the shittiest amps and gear around

jorbjorb likes this.
  4. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Second only to Crate.

jorbjorb likes this.
  5. jorbjorb

7 rings

Yeah if you look at the rig run down episode for Thrice he's using some high quality stuff there.

6. Iamhollywood315

Regular

But still in a world with Mesa boogie, Vox, Orange or Fractral Audio I would never resort to Line 6.

jorbjorb likes this.
  7. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I actually had a Crate 4x12 cab with Celestians that was awesome. But it was so big and bulky I pulled out the speakers and had a much better 2x12 built. But most of their stuff is garbage!

8. andrewcloer

Lurking AP since 2005. Lurking Chorus since 2016.

This is upsetting. He was running a stereo 2x12 rig just recently. Looks like the only positive effect of him playing at a church (having a shit ton of cool gear) faded out.

9. theredline Apr 3, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 3, 2018)
    theredline

Trusted Supporter

Playing at church means having your signal isolated and controlled by the sound techs. Which usually means a nice big sounding amp is something they fight with. A lot of musicians who play in a church go to those digital Axe-Fx type rigs where you just line-in to the system. Nice thing is you don’t have to lug a ton of gear. Originally they couldn’t hold a candle to analog gear but they’ve gotten much better. I can’t imagine he wouldn’t use traditional gear for Thrife but I didn’t watch it so I don’t know the context of what he’s using this stuff for. But man, Line 6 usually equals garbage!

Edit: After watching it does sound like he uses it for Trice. Surprising. But I will give him he benefit of the doubt since he’s an amazing guitar player!

10. andrewcloer

Lurking AP since 2005. Lurking Chorus since 2016.

He used line 6 variax guts in his tele before he went to his church job. After he came back he had real pedals and ran a stereo rig. A lot of mega church guitar players (Bethel, Hillsong) have multiple amps in a back closet mic'd so they can be isolated and a PT Pro Sized board. Or at least they did when I was playing in churches 4 years ago.

11. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Same here. I took a break for awhile. Now it’s seems like 50/50 of people who use amps vs direct in. They put my amp far away and isolated so it works! But I think some musicians like the option of carrying less gear. And at my age and laziness it’s a bit tempting. But I don’t think I could ever get rid of my pedalboard. Especially some of the stuff that I enjoy tweaking in real time.
    And I’m sure for him, free gear and/or a nice spokesperson income is probably super nice!