Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MxPx Launch Kickstarter for New Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

MxPx have launched a Kickstarter to help record their new album:

With this money, the bulk of it is going to be spent on prep and marketing. We intend to self release this record all around the world, not just North America, and to do that, we’re gonna need to advertise. We also have costs of hiring an engineer to record and mix our record, as well as the costs in fulfilling the perks in this here campaign.

This is the first time the band is working in the same place on an album since the Panic sessions. I’ve heard very good things about the batch of songs they’re working on.

2. GageStillAlive

Still Alive Supply Co. Supporter

Always down to back some new MxPx!

BEsterley, Jared Luttrell and Raku like this.
  3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Pretty excited about this release--and compared to most bands? They've put together some pretty interesting/fun "low level" perks.

I'm particularly excited about that "horns" EP. The version of "Heard That Sound" on that live record was really fun.

Raku likes this.
  4. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Didn't know there was a second live album. Thanks!

alkalinexandy likes this.
  5. Fox83

Trusted

I didn't realize they weren't together for any of the recordings after Panic. Really excited for this. Sounds like it will have a July release?

6. tomtom94

Trusted

And already met. Nice!

7. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Awesome, been following the progress. The prices are kinda steep but still gonna pledge for the CD and two eps

8. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yup! They "quietly" released it via their mailing list/web site last year. It's called Left Coast Live. I'm not sure if it's available on digital services or not, but if you can get a hold of it... It's a pretty fun release.

9. wakaflockajamez

die die die, cry cry cry

I backed for the colored vinyl. This band got me into punk rock WAY back in the day. Saw them last year in Nashville two nights in a row and they were FLAWLESS.

10. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Yeah it’s on Amazon. PRetty good set But I wish the audience was lower in the mix The track with Horns makes me want to order that option on the Kickstarter... think it’ll Be new recordings or the old songs with horns on top?

11. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Considering that they re-recorded Life in General just for shits and giggles... I'd imagine it's going to be new recordings of older songs with the horns. I'm wondering if they're going to re-work some of the songs to have a "ska" feel to it too, hah. That would be really interesting... That version of "Heard That Sound" basically sounds like it could be a Reel Big Fish song but on the records they're talking about re-working songs from? I think they'd have to pick some of the slower songs?

I'm guessing that one of them is going to be "I'm Okay, You're Okay" (just because I can hear what that would sound like in my head--and it would definitely work).

12. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

From what I heard, it got a quiet release because they didn’t love how the sound turned out at the recorded shows.

Former Planets and alkalinexandy like this.
  13. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

I can't verify this but I can verify the recording quality is quite disappointing for a professionally-recorded show.

14. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I don’t know if I’d agree. I bought the vinyl. It sounds pretty great to me. I think the quiet release is more because they can only afford so much advertisement when they do it all themselves.

15. theredline

Trusted Supporter

It sounds pretty good to me. Unless I have garbage ears after all these years!

16. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Maybe the sound is why they gave it a "quiet" release, and they opted to spin it into something else but... From what I heard on Mike's podcast, they've been relying on the mailing list because that's where the fans are (and it's free to do so).

I mean, the vinyl sold out within a day of being put up for sale...

17. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

It's all subjective but compared to just about any other pro live recording, it's not good. The instruments are super distant/quiet in the mix, like they placed the recording mics several feet away from the source, and then mic'd the crowd way too much. When you hear what I'm talking about, you'll know what I mean.

18. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I noticed all this immediately. It sounds almost like it was recorded by someone in the audience.

mmhmm likes this.
  19. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I imagine it probably sounds a lot better played loud on a stereo than in headphones.

20. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

21. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I play the vinyl on a pretty nice system so I haven’t heard any of these complaints. I may pull it out again and listen back and see if notice any of this!

22. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I guess I never noticed. I play the vinyl on a pretty nice system so maybe that’s making some difference. Now I want to go pull it out and listen again and see if I notice any of this stuff!

Former Planets likes this.
  23. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

It’s pretty clear that they didn’t like SOMETHING about the recording. They hyped that show so much and pushed the pre-orders, and then crickets after that. It wasn’t an inventory issue because they didn’t even push the digital copy (that’s what I was planning to purchase).

24. failinginplace

Regular

didn't mike just move to Waco?

25. theredline

Trusted Supporter

They bought a second home. He said on a podcast he’ll still be in Bremerton a bunch because of the band, studio etc.