Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Goo Goo Dolls – ‘So Alive’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Every time they release something new I hope it'll sound closer to their 90s stuff but it's always just middle of the road pop/rock. Last album had a couple of classic Goo sounding tracks, though.

Zetsu likes this.
  3. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I love the Goo Goo Dolls, Dizzy Up The Girl is one of my all time favourite albums, but I haven't liked anything of theirs since Let Love In. Their last three albums have been shadows of of the one before it which has just made them get progressively more disappointing. :concerned:

4. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

I want to like it, but meh.

5. jorbjorb

7 rings

I'm still optimistic. Magnetic was great

6. Loki

God of mischief

They released a second track that is much better IMO called "Over & Over" and I am a little puzzled why this was chosen as the single after hearing that...

7. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Oh wow. Thanks. Yeah this one is 100% better.

8. Nick Martin

There are no answers. Only choices.

Agreed. "Over and Over" would be a much better single.

9. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I thought Magnetic was pretty great, to be honest. As usual, I wasn't too jazzed about the Robby songs, but @sammyboy516 is definitely right that there were some classic Goo tracks on that record. I particularly love "Keep the Car Running." Not a fan of this single, but "Over and Over" sounds promising. I hope the album leans more in that direction.

10. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Not bad, but chorus is a bit too repetitive for me. Still looking forward to the album though.

11. heymynameisjoe

when the days have no numbers Prestigious

i prefer this

12. Nick Martin

13. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

This sounds nothing like the Goo Goo Dolls, and more like every pop rock band out there.

14. Craig Manning

They're down to two full-time members now, right?

15. Nick Martin

Correct. Their longtime drummer, Mike Malinin, was fired from the band in 2013.

16. Zetsu

Registered Pokémon Champion

It's not a terrible modern pop song, but I can't see myself reaching out to it. Good for them for keeping at it, though.

17. Craig Manning

Well that's kind of shitty. Really don't like hearing about that kind of stuff. Was there a reason given for him being fired?

18. Loki

God of mischief

It was a dispute over his paternity leave...

19. Loki

God of mischief

"Last Hot Night" was my favorite off Magnetic, but the album never really connected with me like the previous ones had. "Keep the Car Running" was probably my #2 off it. This was my favorite band growing up so I try my best to give them the benefit of the doubt.

20. Craig Manning

Yeesh.

"Last Hot Night" was great too. I think I had expected not to care for anything they made after Something for the Rest of Us, which had zero songs I connected to at all. So I was pleasantly surprised by Magnetic when that dropped. It's not a great record, but I think even their best albums have a few duds, personally.

21. sammyboy516 Apr 13, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 13, 2016)
    sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I thought "Slow it Down" and "Keep the Car Running" we're the two classic Goos sounding songs on that album.