Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Story of the Year Part Ways With Bassist

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Phillip Sneed has posted on Facebook that he was kicked out of Story of the Year. His full statement can be found below.

It’s with a broken heart that I confirm that Story Of The Year has decided to move on as a band without me. Shortly after performing for two back to back sold out shows I learned, through management, that the band had chosen to do so. To be clear, this was not mutual or voluntary on my part. This isn’t what I’ll choose to remember though. What I will choose to remember, and keep near to my heart, is the FIFTEEN years of sacrifice, dedication, loyalty, fun and hard work that were given to this band and the incredible amount of PEOPLE, experiences, bands, crew, relationships, education and love that was given back to us throughout this amazing ride. What I was able to do in my youth is nothing short of an undeserved gift and miracle given to me by each and every fan, friend and supporter of our band over these 15 years. I will forever be in the debt to my fans across the planet! I now know dozens of personalities, hundreds of names and thousands of people’s faces on a personal level that continue to be a very real and important part of my life and who I am. You all know who you are and my love for you. Do I wish things were different? Of course. But I will not allow this or anything to sour my now or my future and what is in my control. I wish this could go on forever. I certainly wish it didn’t end like this but I will continue to strive for growth in all of the new chapters of my life. Moving forward, I’ll continue to put my family first and pour my passion and love for music into my other projects. I am living many of my dreams and enjoy being a part of the #1 morning radio show/podcast The Rizzuto Show on 105.7 The Point. We are also preparing the release of a new Greek Fire record and I’m touring our new Goldfinger record ‘The Knife’! Life is good. I love you all, across the globe, and I hope to see each one of you soon. In the immortal words of Dr. Peter Venkman…

“See you on the other side, Ray.”

Moon

The band posted the following on Twitter:

@StoryoftheYear is announcing the departure of guitarist/bassist Philip “Moon” Sneed today. He will be dedicating more time to Greek Fire, Goldfinger, and The Rizzuto Show on KPNT, 105.7 The Point. The band wishes Moon well on all of his future endeavors.

— Story of the Year (@StoryoftheYear) March 27, 2018

2. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

This one hurts. The comeraderie on their DVDs were one of my favorite factors of SOTY.

inwaves, Steeeve Perry, Davjs and 2 others like this.
  3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Fully agree. This is a hard one to swallow, especially considering how much his voice brought to the band's live sound.

inwaves, Davjs and BornToRun like this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Damn, ever what happened.

All these dudes seemed like such brothers

5. shawnhyphenray

Regular

:( Sounds like they thought he was too busy with his other projects to be focused on SOTY when they wanted to do more, which honestly was probably true. Sad but understandable, but sucks when a band kicks someone out right after the release of an album, as if they used him for that. But this explains why he wasn't in the acoustic performance they posted recently

Stevangelion likes this.
  6. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

WHAT? Never in a million years would I have seen this coming. This band has always seemed so tight.

This feels weird. and sad.

inwaves, Essie and Colby Searcy like this.
  7. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

It definitely was not because he was "too busy"

8. rxbandit89

Colby Searcy and Stevangelion like this.
  9. Stevangelion

We Can (Not) Make It Alone.

Yeah man, can’t say that without adding some proof here.

10. Woohoo!

Regular

Adam Russell, the previous bass player, replaced him.

PDPOUTCAST and Colby Searcy like this.
  11. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Recently watched that Gear Masters video of him talking about his basses and his investment in the band's sound and history was very apparent to me. Can't imagine this is great for anyone involved. Shame, really.

12. Davjs

Trusted

He played the NYC show but I don't know if he's a permanent replacement or just a fill in due to shows being around the corner.

I'd love for the Skull to be back in the band though!

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  13. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I mean, Goldfinger doesn't do that many shows. Greek Fire certainly doesn't. It's hard to see how he'd be overextended.

SaveTheEarth likes this.
  14. Davjs

Trusted

Also they all have side projects but Josh.

Greek Fire even had Ryan in it too. It's not that he was too busy but something personal happened, that we probably will never find out about.

15. Spenny

Regular

Seems sketch on the band's part to part ways with him so abruptly and in such an impersonal way. Curious what happened.

Davjs likes this.
  16. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Yeah, the "through management" part is interesting and telling about how it went down.

17. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Well that fucking sucks. His harmonies are the great and I've always thought they seemed like pretty good friends in their backstage footage.

Davjs and Colby Searcy like this.
  18. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Obviously don't know them personally, but they seemed so rosey all the time, so this is surprising. From his statement, which looks very professional and thankful, Phil looks like a stand up guy.

PDPOUTCAST and Davjs like this.
  19. Analog Drummer

Regular

So he’s the really good back up vocalist?

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  20. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

wait, his ex-wife was the woman the governor of missouri was blackmailing?

21. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

In some ways, he's the best vocalist in the band. That's not meant as a slight against Dan since his voice is what carries the sound of SOTY, but Phil's range is incredible.

22. pbueddi

Trusted

This really stinks. At the very least, we finally get some new Greek Fire music. However, I wonder how that will work now. Are they just a 3 piece?

23. Stevie

Regular

I get the impression he didn't REALLY want to play bass - Seemed to just be a quick/easy (possibly cheap) fix for the band... Big shame thought, Sneed was a big part of what I loved about SOTY, used to marvel at those harmonies!

Davjs likes this.
  24. rxbandit89

Wait WHAT

25. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

He played guitar before why not go back to that then now that Skull is back?