Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

YouTube Will ‘Frustrate’ Some Users With Ads So They Pay for Music

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Lucas Shaw, writing for Bloomberg:

People who treat YouTube like a music service, those passively listening for long periods of time, will encounter more ads, according to Lyor Cohen, the company’s global head of music. “You’re not going to be happy after you are jamming ‘Stairway to Heaven’ and you get an ad right after that,” Cohen said in an interview at the South by Southwest music festival.

Correct, in fact I’d be so annoyed I’d go sign up for a music service like Spotify or Apple Music instead.

Larry David and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  2. bransco2010

their ads have been ridiculous lately. even the ads you can skip, if you hit the button it just sends you to another ad, sometimes one you CAN’T skip.

3. CMilliken

Trusted

YouTube is just a disaster right now.

SEMUSIC, skogsraet and Raku like this.
  4. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

It sure is. Every day I seem to find new ways they're embedding more ads. Like now there are those banner ads pinned under the player in the app.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. TedSchmosby

Trusted

[​IMG]
    i miss the days before auto-play

SEMUSIC, heymattrick and Raku like this.
  6. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

It's amazing how similar YouTube is to watching a movie on an airplane

You look through the library, select what you want, get the volume set just right and as the opening scene begins...

INTERCOM: *PSHHHHH* Hello everyone and welcome to American Airlines I'll be your captain today...

7. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

My gf still does YouTube because it’s free. I’ve went the Apple Music route and never looked back.

Totally understand advertising, but it should be seamless and less invasive.

BEsterley likes this.
  8. SEMUSIC

Man I loved the angry video game nerd, for sure still one of my favorites on Youtube

TedSchmosby likes this.