Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Panic! at the Disco Performs on Fallon

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. The Format

Regular

Woah that high note. Not bad

heymattrick and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  3. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

Holy shit that dude can sing. Might be one of their best tv performances. His control was incredible. Made me like the song much more than I did yesterday when I heard it for the first time.

BornToRun and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  4. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Definitely one of my favourite singers. Such an awesome voice. That was great.

heymattrick likes this.
  5. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Good performance. I actually like the style of the song but don't love the song itself if that makes any sense. Bringing a bit more energy with the new stuff.

6. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Man. I just don’t get it. To me that voice it abnoxious. It’s “wavery” (which probably isn’t a word so kill me) and a Stump rip-off (who also bugs me) and it just doesn’t sound good to me. People like what they like but it ain’t for me. Carry on.

7. Mr. Serotonin

You're talkin' about that beautiful vibrato my friend.

slimfenix182, Essie and BornToRun like this.
  8. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I’ve heard vibrato and that ain’t beautiful (at least to me). Sounds painful! I’ve just always found it over the top and a disservice to the music. If I want to listen to soul I’ll choose Al Green or Marvin Gaye or one of the million other awesome artists, not half assed wannabes. But that’s just me. Do what you do and keep on keepin’ on.

9. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

New bassist is killing it, seems like a great fit for the band!

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  10. What an odd take.

11. Mr. Serotonin

I missed the "half assed wannabe" part the first time :eyeroll: That's just false.

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Ok maybe that went a little far. Sorry. But I still maintain whatever is happening vocally isnt as great as some would have us believe. It isn’t my cup of tea. And people like what they like. But the pedestal those guys are put up on I don’t get. I’m sure I like things other people think are garbage. But I just don’t see it with this. Can we bring it back to reality?

13. BornToRun

Regular Supporter

He's a great vocalist. He hits a B5 during that high part with more control than most and then holds out a A5. That's higher than the highest notes in dream on and I believe in a thing called love. Crazy impressive.

14. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

It is your opinion but your opinion is factually incorrect. Carry on.

15. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Awesome performance. Love both new songs.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  16. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

...and back in 2003 I thought that "saturday" was on a high note on TTTYG, woah. Also, really awesome they got a female bass player! I've noticed she's already an established musician, but still, a nice fit.

17. Waiting patiently for the day that folks stop saying "this is bad" when what they mean (whether they know it or not) is "I don't like this".

18. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I feel like those terms are interchangeable. If someone doesn’t like something, to them it’s bad. So saying “I don’t like this” means the person thinks it’s bad. If they say “This is bad” it probably means they don’t like it. I don’t think either are wrong. It’s all opinion.

cosmickid likes this.
  19. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

I hear ya. I don't mind when people say a song is bad as long as they can back it up in a constructive manner (i.e. critiquing lyrics, melody, or dissecting the music theory). Like, okay you think a song is bad, but why?

20. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I don’t understand this idea that people have to explain their opinions. If someone thinks something is bad, they thinks it’s bad. Why does it matter why?
    There are people in the Fever thread comparing them to this band or that and saying how bad it is and I don’t get it. To me they’re wrong. But I don’t need to know why. I like it. And thats enough for me. I can’t stand Panic. I think it’s terrible, bad but why should I have to dissect it? I hear it and my head says “awful.” But it’s my opinion. And people who love it have their opinion. No one is right or wrong. No one is going to convert the other. It’s is what it is. And it’s wonderful!

RobJGolde likes this.
  21. RobJGolde

That's fair, I didn't mean to make you think you had to explain yourself or that you were being put on trial or something. Personally, if someone likes or doesn't like a song, I like to talk about why, and dissect the song. That's just me though.

22. You're missing the point. Maybe not of the post you replied to, but I wanted to clarify my position here.

I don't think people should have to justify their opinions about music. I just think people should stop presenting their opinions as facts. "I don't like this" instead of "this is bad". Because words mean things, and intent notwithstanding when you present a negative opinion with fact wording, the implication is that anyone who disagrees is wrong. I'd just love to live in a world where nuance is a thing.

But, ya know. That's just my opinion.

23. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Cool. You seem much more levelheaded than some. Sometimes it exhausting when you like or dislike something and you have to defend it. Some people are way to confrontational about those things. It’s cool you’re just in it for the discussion!

RobJGolde likes this.
  24. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I used this again from another response in here because it seems to fit!:

“Cool. You seem much more levelheaded than some. Sometimes it exhausting when you like or dislike something and you have to defend it. Some people are way to confrontational about those things. It’s cool you’re just in it for the discussion!”

And I agree it can come off as saying the other person is wrong and I never want to come off like that. I like things. I hate things. And everyone else is free to feel that way. Just don’t attack me and I won’t attack you either!

25. RobJGolde

Thank you! Yeah, coming across as confrontational wasn't my intention at all with my previous post, I just like to hear about how other people analyze a song.