Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spencer Chamberlin Talks With Music Feeds

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Sam Bauermeister of Music Feeds sat down with Spencer Chamberlin of Underoath to talk about the band’s upcoming album:

If we’re doing things the way we used to do it and keep saying “That’s not Underoath enough”, it wouldn’t work. I’m not the same person I was in 2006 when we wrote Define the Great Line, I’m a way different person and in a much better place in my life mentally, spiritually and musically. So I’m not going to write the same as I did when I was at that point in my life. Whether it’s you as a journalist, a football player or a business person, there’s no way you’d be doing things the same as you did twelve years ago. So I find it unfair when people expect that of us and that’s why we just don’t give a shit about it.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  2. defmytones

Regular

Solid interview, made some good points especially on how people love to hate on the internet.

After hearing Rapture though album has me slightly worried. I’m all for change and progression but song just was very meh and screaming for radio play.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

interesting that they feel like they're collabbing better on this record than before, glad for them although it's not sounding like something i'll dig

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  4. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I have a feeling BMTH had a big influence on this. They were originally going to have Oli and Jordan Fish produce the album.

defmytones likes this.
  5. defmytones

Regular

Which came first, their tour with BMTH or recording this album? Because I completely agree, and would assume that tour really influenced their sound and style returning.

6. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The BMTH tour happened a few a months before the recording. I wouldn’t be surprised if Oli and the gang sat them down and said “look, this is our system”. The lyrical approach, artwork, and sound all could have a BMTH sticker slapped to and it would be believable.

7. Nah.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  8. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I feel like people will be surprised at the range of this album. Sure, these first singles may be a bit radio ready but I have a feeling the album as whole with have some range. Some heavy, some melodic, some electronic. These guys have grown and change but I can imagine they will totally write off everything they’ve done. I bet it will be a great “past meets present looking forward” type record.

9. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

It's possible they were influenced by that experience, or their music, but I really doubt BMTH would sit them down and tell them anything about how to make music, nor do I think Underoath with all of their experience would ask them to.

10. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I'd be really curious to hear the pop songs he's written.