Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Toys ‘R’ Us Plans to Close All U.S. Stores

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Reuters:

Iconic toy retailer Toys ‘R’ Us Inc will shutter or sell its stores in the United States after failing to revamp its struggling business, putting 30,000 jobs at risk and leaving a void for vendors who supplied the company with $11 billion worth of goods a year.

As a kid there was no place I wanted to go more than Toys ‘R’ Us.

2. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Every Game Boy game I ever received was handed to me in exchange for a Toys 'R' Us ticket. Ah, memories.

Also, if President Deals wants to take public credit for every employer who adds jobs, we get to lay this one at his feet too, right?

3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Yeah, this hurt when I read it the other day. My reward for a good report card was a trip to Toys R Us, where I'd add to my Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, or Marvel figures collection. I absolutely hate that my son won't get to experience something similar.

4. defmytones

Regular

This is hugely disappointing. Although I have no kids yet, I simply can’t imagine NOT having this place to take my children as they grow up. Majority of kids these days seem more interested in tablets and video games though so I can’t say it’s a huge surprise.

Raku likes this.
  5. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

bummer, but on the upside i got a bunch of board games on clearance

6. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I’m hoping something works out like I’ve read where the Canadian business and some of the more profitable US stores are spun off in a sale.

After reading some ideas online, I took my kids there this past weekend to run off what we had left of gift cards from my son’s birthday. He’s too young to know what’s going on, but my daughter is not and she already knows what’s happening in general because the one by us was announced in the first batch or closures. I told her to play with everything, touch everything, and remember what this place felt like to her. I felt like I was at a funeral, but it was very cathartic. Damn my own memories, it kills me how much I know she feels about Toys R Us like I did at her age and it’s going away.

carlosonthedrums and Raku like this.
  7. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

This makes me sad for my dad. He loves toys r us!

Colby Searcy, Analog Drummer and Raku like this.
  8. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I want to believe that somewhere they have stocks of 90s beyblades that will hit ebay any day now for cheap.

9. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

The last time I was in a Toys R Us was in 2006, and at that time it seemed like a ghost town and was out of service. It was in a decent town too. I got a steal on Xbox Live though, they had Xbox Live starter kits for the original Xbox on clearance for $5, right after the 360 came out. I walked out with six years of Xbox Live, 6 OG Xbox headsets, and six copies of Crimson Skies for $30.

Raku likes this.
  10. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

I loved Toys R Us! and I'm glad I got too take my son a few times, I get a euphoric high walking into those doors.

JimmyIymmiJ, Analog Drummer and Raku like this.
  11. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Damn that is a lot of lost jobs. The UK ones announced they were closing the other day as well. Such a shame but they massively overpriced compared to competitors both online and offline. The prices were always double the amount of other toy shops here.

Raku likes this.
  12. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Saddest news of the year. My favorite store as a child, and still feel nostalgic whenever I think of it

Analog Drummer and Raku like this.
  13. Saephon

Regular

Anyone else like me in that their primary reason for going here as a child was to collect Beast Wars? I miss my transformers. Transmetal Rattrap, where are youuuuu :'(

carrytheweird and Gooddayz like this.
  14. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I've never stepped foot in a Toys R Us. Trying to recall where I got all my games and toys from but I know it wasn't TRU. Weird...

15. DooDooBird

Trusted

Yes! I loved their video game setup there when I was a kid. The tickets in the plastic sleeves and then you got to take them up to the front in exchange for the actual game. I remember getting a ton of my NES, SNES, and N64 cartridges this way.

DandonTRJ likes this.
  16. Raku

Regular

I already mourned the loss of my local store when they announced the first few regions... However, the fact that they are closing their entire chain in the US? That just sucks =/

I haven't been there in a while. The last time I was there was when I tagged along my mother, and sister when they were looking for Christmas presents for my nephew. Before then? I can't even remember, but I used to love that store like any kid that grew up in the 90s. I think the things I used to forward to seeing there was Power Rangers, and DBZ toys/merch.

It's crazy, and even more sad to see stores close down. Last store that I remember closing like this was Circut City, and I was able to pay that a visit before they closed their doors for good, but TRU? Unfortunately, I might not be able to say goodbye, just like with Blockbuster.

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  17. DooDooBird

Trusted

Blockbuster, K-Mart, Toys R Us, Circuit City. I miss these places so much.

18. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

19. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

All of these. I used to love KB Toys, too.

Raku likes this.
  20. DooDooBird

Trusted

Oh yeah. KB was definitely a must go to store in the mall for me.

Raku likes this.
  21. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Extremely saddening. Difficult to cope with losing things like this that I love so much. Still would stop by every month or so to check out the collectibles.

Raku likes this.
  22. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

The free market has spoken.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. SFguitar

Regular

Why exactly are they going under? Is it mainly due to online shopping becoming the norm?

Raku likes this.
  24. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I was just in a Best Buy today and I have a feeling they're next

Brent and Raku like this.
  25. flask

Trusted Supporter

I remember my parents taking me to Toys R Us in 2nd grade (1998?) and buying me a Playstation. They also got me Gex and Spyro the Dragon. I remember you had to pull the slips and take the slip to the front and they'd get the games from the back. A year later my mom bought me Metal Gear Solid despite the M rating and when the dude handed me the game I was STUNNED that it was 2 discs.

carlosonthedrums and Raku like this.