Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lil Pump Signs Giant Warner Bros. Contract

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

TMZ reports that Lil Pump has signed an $8 million contract with Warner Brother Records:

According to the contract, Warner Bros. Records agrees to pay Pump an $8 million advance, and then $9,000 for the first year, $12k for the second and $15k for the 3rd through 7th contract years.

2. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Without sounding hostile, is this guy any good? What justifies this kind of money? I really don't like his big song.

3. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

He’s not any good and it’s weird that he got a deal this big. He had a huge single but he’s only 17 and there are a lot of way better young rappers Warner could sign. I could be wrong about that though, Chance and Brockhampton kind of proved you don’t need major label backing in hip hop so maybe fewer artists are interested in signing. Idk. Still feels weird.

4. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I want this guy's agent

CMilliken, Jacob and skogsraet like this.
  5. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

he has a really strong social media presence, that's worth a lot. that's my guess at least

(also besides the fact that that Gucci Gang song is huge, also worth a lot lol)

not my cup of tea but to each their own.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  6. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Homeboy will blow through that advance soooooo quick lol

CMilliken likes this.
  7. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I just don't think there's any talent involved in this kind of music. Repeating the same two words over and over for 2 minutes over a boring beat doesn't do it for me.

Furman and mattylikesfilms like this.
  8. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

His sophomore album has to go platinum from pure album sales only in order for Warner Bros. to not drop him.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  9. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

is there a lot of precedent for such a front-loaded deal? seems so weird, i have a feeling by year three he will be broke and having a real issue with taking in less than minimum wage lol

10. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Dude needs to stick that nest fund into some 5-7% return investments and ride it out.

But I guess he won’t do that lol. I am so interested in reading the contracts for these types of deals, there’s gotta be so many stipulations and restrictions that he has a result of such a front loaded deal.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  11. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

So say he gets dropped in ~2-3 years. Does he have to pay back that 8 million advance?

12. Orville

It's surprising to me that Asap Rocky back in the day got a $3mil advance and this guy gets nearly triple that, theres no way he has that much staying power by comparison, but maybe i'm wrong in never seeing the appeal of lil pump.

skogsraet likes this.
  13. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

oh what? i read a while ago that he was underaged when signing, so he's a free agent?? dudes an idiot, but doesn't matter if he's good, he has a lot of momentum and hype around his name and gucci gang single. soundcloud rappers are the trend. probably will get dropped once the hype dies down.

lol and i think people commenting on rap who don't listen to rap is one of my favorite things on this site

skogsraet likes this.
  14. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Not sure there's a single comment on this thread that suggests they don't listen to rap. There are people who say they don't like his music, but those people very well could listen to a lot of hip-hop.

supernovagirl likes this.
  15. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

ASAP didn't have a hit as big as pump at the time.

16. He had a huge tape, critical acclaim, and a fan base. Pump has none of those things, and all of them are typically more valuable than a hit to a label like WBR. This is a strange deal.

17. CyberInferno

Let's be honest. ~$1 million of that will go toward a car. Maybe more if he goes for a Bugatti.

18. cwhit

gucci gang was a #3 song

this is also the soundcloud streaming generation where single hits matter far more than albums

Arry likes this.
  19. cwhit

that's fucked up for even thinking that

20. Arry

I'm just referring to the comment saying that this type of rap doesn't require "talent". It does require talent to acquire a mass following, a brand and a huge contract. Just because you're not into the soundcloud trend, it's kinda ignorant to say it doesn't take talent. There's no one genre of hip hop like there's no one genre of emo/punk.

cwhit likes this.
  21. Arry

and who knows, maybe lil pump is smarter than what yall are suggesting. maybe he has a rad investor and financial director. idk, but if i had 8 mil at 18, i'd flash it a little too

22. CyberInferno

LightWithoutHeat likes this.