Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jon Favreau to Executive Produce, Write Live-Action ‘Star Wars’ TV Series

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Hollywood Reporter:

“I couldn’t be more excited about Jon coming on board to produce and write for the new direct-to-consumer platform,” Kathleen Kennedy, Lucasfilm president said in a statement. “Jon brings the perfect mix of producing and writing talent, combined with a fluency in the Star Wars universe. This series will allow Jon the chance to work with a diverse group of writers and directors and give Lucasfilm the opportunity to build a robust talent base.”

AshlandATeam likes this.
  2. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Interesting! I’ve been wondering if Disney would go this route.

3. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

Am I the only one who is just slightly cautious/concerned with the amount of Star Wars projects recently announced?

Raku and bradsonemanband like this.
  4. ZeoVGM

Regular

Disney has been knocking it out of the part with their Star Wars stuff.

5. After the incredible end of ‘Rebels’ I want more.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  6. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Disney needs a better PR department. They can't hire a fucking woman, and then they announce another white guy on International Women's Day.

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  7. Ellite25

Regular

Well he was working with him before on Star Wars stuff so it makes sense they’d want him to continue working in the universe. Is it that big of a deal that it was announced today? Does it somehow take away from celebrating women? I don’t see a big deal.

8. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Favreau knows what he's doing, so Im excited.

9. BradBradley

Regular

Chef: Mos Eisley Cantina

10. You're spot on about the announcement being on Women's Day, but we should remember that the past few announcements have been about producers. That leaves plenty of room to still hire women as directors, writers, etc., whether that's for Johnson's trilogy, Weiss/Benioff's series, or Favreau's show. This news story even says, "This series will allow Jon the chance to work with a diverse group of writers and directors." Sooooo I think we can hope for the best as to what "diverse" ends up looking like.

11. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I agree. It's just seemed like a long roll out of white guys, and it's just getting...well, boring. All creators I like, but...eh. Abrams, Johnson, Trevvorow, Ron Howard, Lord & Miller, Edwards, Benioff and Weiss, now Favreau...that's a pretty long list.

12. So...

I've been thinking about this a lot.

There's a really long-lasting cycle here that's going to be tough to crack. The safest bet for a Star Wars project is going to be someone with a lot of experience -- and because of the way the industry has been for sooooo long, the people with the most experience are white men. The two biggest bets Disney/Lucasfilm have taken so far are arguably Lord&Miller and Trevorrow, who all got replaced by safer and more experienced directors.

So, if we can give Disney/Lucasfilm the benefit of the doubt that they actually want to give more opportunities to women and minorities, it might actually be a really wise move to turn the safest, most experienced filmmakers (which, again, by the nature of the beast, are primarily white men) into producers, who can help out younger, less experienced filmmakers from different demographics.

It's all just a theory, but I think it's a sensible one that will turn out really well in the long-term.

13. caakle

Regular

Truly, everyone be honest here, do we need anymore Star Wars stuff?

Raku likes this.
  14. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Fukkin’ Duh.

coleslawed likes this.
  15. At an existential level, we need nothing. But yeah, I want way more when it's this good.

coleslawed and carrytheweird like this.