Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Amazon Is Complicit With Counterfeiting

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Casey Hopkins, from Elevation Lab (makers of quite a few products I really like), has posted a blog about how Amazon is complicit in helping promote counterfeiters:

When someone goes to the lengths of making counterfeits of your products, it’s at least a sign you’re doing something right. And it deserves a minute of flattery.

But when Chinese counterfeiters tool up and make copies of your product, send that inventory to Amazon, then overtake the real product’s buy box by auto-lowering the price – it’s a real problem. Customers are unknowingly buying crap versions of the product, while both Amazon and the scammers are profiting, and the reputation you’ve built goes down the toilet.

I have their headphone anchor under my desk and it’s fantastic.

2. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

The casual racism in this line: "suiningdonghanjiaju Co Ltd (sounds legit)" is real nice :sly:

Kingjohn_654 and waking season like this.
  3. That’s the actual scam company name.

studskalny and Brent like this.
  4. Elder Lightning

Right, I get that. It’s the implication in the snarky “sounds legit” parenthetical that a name that looks/sounds that way couldn’t possibly be legitimate.

Jake W likes this.
  5. It’s not legitimate, it’s litterally a scam company.

6. Elder Lightning

That’s not the point. The legitimacy of the company can’t be inferred from the name, just because the name looks/sounds strange to this person.

7. Jason Tate Mar 2, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 2, 2018)
    Yes it can?. It’s not the name of the company that makes this product. It’s literally a fake scam company with a made up fake name that’s scamming people. I don’t think I’m following.

8. Hunter Norman

Regular

Yeah, not sure I would consider that casually racist just because the obviously made up name happens to be Chinese.

9. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I ordered and received a counterfeit Fjallraven backpack and was pissed. My friends told me I was nuts because there was no way Amazon would let sellers get away with that. Sending this to all of them.

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

I've tried to explain to a friend that just because products are sold through Prime doesn't mean they're legitimate. He ended up throwing away a box full of bootleg command strips after all of his picture frames fell off the wall and broke.

mercury and Jason Tate like this.
  11. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

this is a real problem amazon has.... you get an eye for it after a while but my family does not always haha

Kingjohn_654 and Jason Tate like this.
  12. efp722

Regular

Been a fan since their first elevation dock kickstarter. Great products. Cool company.

13. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

this is the #1 reason I’ve never really gotten into shopping on amazon, wayyyyyy to easy for people to sell (and me to accidentally buy) counterfeits and bootlegs.