Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Songs That Bind

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Seth Stephens-Davidowitz, writing for The New York Times:

I was beginning to get frustrated by how much of our lives are spent arguing about music. So I decided to do something about it the only way I know how: I analyzed data.

I couldn’t think of a way to use data to prove how great “Born to Run” is. But I thought data might give me clarity on why my brother and I never seem to agree on music.

In particular, I wanted to see to what extent the year we were born influences the music we listen to, the extent to which different generations are bound to disagree on music.

I always find these kinds of studies fascinating. For the most part I’ve found this to be pretty true in my life (I’m sitting here spinning My Chemical Romance right now), but I also think my musical tastes have changed quite a bit in the past few years. I listen to more straight up pop music and hip-hop than I ever did as a teenager.

2. Tim McCall

Regular

My level of fandom with music has evolved over the years , but my general taste in music goes in a circle.

3. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I sent this to my brother bc he's like 8 and a half years older than me and has wildly different tastes. He grew up with Nirvana while I had Blink, basically, and that loosely defines all of our disagreements about music and tbh everything else.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I actually noticed a rather large change in my musical taste over the last 3 or 4 years. I got really into emo and indie and grunge over that time whereas before I mostly listened to just pop-punk. I've always liked hip-hop but I went off it majorly for a year years and came back around to it roughly 5 years ago.

A good example is that I tried Death Cab for Cutie at 17 and didn't like it, but when I was 20 I tried them one more time and I loved them instantly. I don't know what had changed, but I guess I learned to love more reserved and slower music.

I feel like my tastes are constantly changing and I'm interested to see what I'm listening to in another 5 years when I hit 30.