Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Justin Timberlake Tops the Charts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Justin Timberlake has the number one album in the country this week:

The set, which was released on Feb. 2 through RCA Records, earned 293,000 equivalent album units in the week ending Feb. 8, according to Nielsen Music. Of that sum, 242,000 were in traditional album sales.

2. defmytones

Regular

Album was a super hard meh for me.

BEsterley and serotonin like this.
  3. somethingwitty

Trusted

Its scary seeing the decline in album sales. Its all about those streams, which essentially make sales figures and chart records irrelevant now.

Hip hop and pop have an inherent advantage on the charts due to a lot of them being singles artists. How many "album" artists are even in pop/hip hop? Taylor, Kanye, Jay, Gaga? It bums me out that the idea of presenting a group of songs with a cohesive art direction and roll out might be slowly disappearing.

4. backbynewyears

I feel like the hip hop genre still releases solid cohesive full-lengths - Kendrick, Chance, and Vince Staples being a few that quickly come to mind. "Pop" can be used to describe a wide array of styles, but I think the standard top 40 pop music has been single heavy for some time now imo

5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

beyonce, kendrick, chance? feels like the biggest pop artists have been having more acclaimed albums, especially compared to the 00s.

skogsraet likes this.
  6. BEsterley

Major step down on this one...no big, but I was surprised by this.