Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wonder Years – “Sister Cities” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Wonder Years have released a video for “Sister Cities” and launched pre-orders for their new album of the same name.

Track Listing

1. Raining in Kyoto
    2. Pyramids of Salt
    3. It Must Get Lonely
    4. Sister Cities
    5. Flowers Where Your Face Should Be
    6. Heaven’s Gate (Sad & Sober)
    7. We Look Like Lightning
    8. The Ghosts of Right Now
    9. When the Blue Finally Came
    10. The Orange Grove
    11. The Ocean Grew Hands to Hold Me

2. shawnhyphenray

Regular

YES! Songs kinda disappointing but I'm still excited.

Brent likes this.
  3. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

^ what he said.

shawnhyphenray likes this.
  4. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

It's pretty cool. But I'm gonna be the guy who complains about the production, because I don't think the drums have been done justice AT ALL.

Have they said who produced it?

5. web250

I'll change this eventually Prestigious

"After doing their last three albums with famed pop punk producer Steve Evetts, they recorded this one with Joe Chiccarelli (Manchester Orchestra, The Shins) and Carlos de la Garza (Jimmy Eat World, Paramore, Tegan and Sara, M83), and it’s the biggest departure from the band’s pop punk roots yet"

Source: The Wonder Years announce new album 'Sister Cities,' share title track

cosmickid likes this.
  6. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

not accusing of stealing or anything, but 1:30 sounds pretty damn close to Brick By Boring Brick's lick.

I Am Mick and Brent like this.
  7. I wonder who will have the best "Heaven's Gate" this year, TWY or FOB.

Colby Searcy and Turkeylegz like this.
  8. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Loved it.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  9. Loki

God of mischief

Jason - always thankful for you adding pre-order links. I don't have the time to scour the web like I used to for merch and you have helped me get in on a lot of pre-orders I would have missed otherwise. Thanks again!

Turkeylegz and Jason Tate like this.
  10. FOB.

Chase Tremaine, Brent and jorbjorb like this.
  11. Jason Tate Feb 8, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 8, 2018)
    Pretty easily their best 'sounding' song in a long while.

Kinda Foo Fighters-y though.

12. ViTO

@vitopagano It Must Get Lonely

Man .... I do love the sound of this.

13. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

I feel like TWY needed this. I mean, I've loved every single record this band has put out since The Upsides, but honestly I'm so excited for them to try something a little bit different, if this new track is any indication.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

From a pure sound standpoint, this song sounds better than any of their previous albums. The song itself isn't doing it for me. It's not bad but it just sounds like any other generic rock song and doesn't have the uniqueness that made me enjoy their previous work.

Colby Searcy and Jason Tate like this.
  15. Song is kind of meh and boring honestly. Not really catchy at all. My problem with The Wonder Years have always been that they have like three guitarists, but I can never really tell that they do. It’s like a wall of guitars that always sound like one, which is kind of a bummer. I really hope the next single is good. I want another super catchy song like some of the songs off The Greatest Generation.

16. CMilliken

Trusted

Dig it. Preordered that hardcover book vinyl combo. Hoping it has the poem and journal entries that were referenced in the album teaser video.

17. huntercrunch

Regular

I already like this song more than most of NCTH, but this kind of feels like a good album track, not really a first single.

I don't think they'll be able to top TGG for me, but I'm excited for this record.

18. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I actually like this song a lot more than We Look Like Lightning on first listen

19. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

I'm surprised how sparse lyrically this song is, considering how wordy a lot of No Closer to Heaven and TGG were. I like the vibe though. Pre-ordered.

20. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Yeah I have the same issue. Can't say I've seen three guitar bands ever utilise them all well in this genre.

Christian Romero likes this.
  21. nicksteinborn

The Wonder Years Verified

I bet you a million bucks people would and do say that too much is going on when we play completely different stuff.

22. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Love the song. Some of the album titles sound really cool.

UK tour in April shall be awesome.

23. MacbethSin

Regular

Really cool setting for a video. Song is okay...very straightforward rock barring that dope shuffle beat in the second verse.

Anyone else find that "plinking" sound of the cymbals in the chorus and bridge irritating though? What happened with those drums...

24. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Hop Along's Sister Cities >>> TWY's Sister Cities

25. j0nnymarrzbar Feb 8, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 8, 2018)
    j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

Damn wish the production was better.... song sounds like it should be on NCTH? Drums sound weird as hell

Also think we have to accept that TWY won't be writing stuff that sounds likes it's in a major key anymore :(