Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Best Buy To Stop Selling CDs, Target May Be Next

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ed Christman, writing for Billboard:

Best Buy has just told music suppliers that it will pull CDs from its stores come July 1. At one point, Best Buy was the most powerful music merchandiser in the U.S., but nowadays it’s a shadow of its former self, with a reduced and shoddy offering of CDs. Sources suggest that the company’s CD business is nowadays only generating about $40 million annually. While it says it’s planning to pull out CDs, Best Buy will continue to carry vinyl for the next two years, keeping a commitment it made to vendors. The vinyl will now be merchandised with the turntables, sources suggest.

2. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

It's mind blowing to me that people still buy cd's.

3. Fox83

Trusted

I still do from time to time (certainly not at the rate I did 10-15 years ago) because I like physical copies once in awhile, and I typically make sure it comes with a digital copy.

Bayside 182, anonimito and CMilliken like this.
  4. NitrateDawn

Regular

This is a really sad day

5. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

6. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I buy CDs from best buy every month

this is terrible news.

7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

My 2015 Mazda doesn’t even have a CD player. USB and Bluetooth only.

aspeedomodel and Dan O'Neill like this.
  9. Dan O'Neill

Regular

I work at Target. I’m the guy at my store who sets the entertainment aisles every week. Our music department has been crap for a few years now, and it shrinks more each year. I wouldn’t be surprised if we follow in Best Buy’s footsteps real soon.

Stevangelion and Davjs like this.
  10. Davjs

Trusted

I still love owning cds, but also do vinyl and digital as well. I saw this coming though, anytime I went into Best Buy on album release day I was never sure if their one lonely isle for CDs would have what I came in for.

anonimito, Stevangelion and CMilliken like this.
  11. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I got the Fall Out Boy album at best buy in stores but for any smaller releases I got online (Dangerous Summer and Tiny Moving Parts were bestbuy.com only)

12. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

It took me forever to abandon the practice of buying CDs, which I finally did last year. Even so, it's still really sad to read this considering so many of my favorite music-purchasing memories are tied to this particular store. I discovered so many bands at those touch-screen (fucking mind-blowing technology in 1997!) kiosks they used to have where you could preview 30-second song snippets by a variety of artists. I love Apple Music to death for the availability of expanding my musical lexicon tenfold, but there was something really cool about having to work for it.

js977 and CMilliken like this.
  13. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I still buy cds but often my Best Buy didn't have the new releases I was looking for. So thisis whatever. Still kind of sad lol

I need to go to mine to see if they still have a Nerf Herder EP from 2003. It was still there a couple years ago and survived every downsizing of the section. It's one of my favorite curiosities from my life haha

14. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

This is going to be weird.

Stevangelion likes this.
  15. CMilliken

Trusted

Just make sure to support your local stores. I buy a little of everything so it sucks that Best Buy is eliminating that buying option as it’s really close to my house. But I guess I’ll just have to make the trek up to the local store about 20 minutes away.

Davjs likes this.
  16. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Best Buy, Target and Newbury Comics are the most local I have 30 minutes away at the same mall. Hopefully Newbury sticks around lol

CMilliken likes this.
  17. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

Can we like start a petition to stop this or something? I know that wouldn't work, not enough people care about CDs anymore. It's just too sad, Best Buy usually has the best prices for CDs too, that's where I always go

anonimito likes this.
  18. davecerv

This was inevitable...I do vinyl and Spotify. Everyone I know is a Spotify user.
    The most recent CD I bought was a Japanese import single that isn't available in any form in the US.
    Besides that, I haven't purchased a CD in like a year. If I did it was purely for support and not to use since my car doesn't have a cd player. I haven't purchased anything from iTunes in a long while either.

I do however love buying physical media in the form of Blu-Rays and Nintendo Switch games!

Stevangelion likes this.
  19. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

My local BestBuy got rid of CDs over a year ago so this isn't too surprising.

20. Loki

God of mischief

Still kind of sad news for me... I still buy CDs and/or Vinyl of my favorite artists... digital is convenient but still feels hollow to me.

anonimito, Davjs and DesolateEarth like this.
  21. Loki

God of mischief

You owe it to that EP to buy it, ya know... ;)

slimfenix182 likes this.
  22. DesolateEarth

Birb

Im going to admit my disappointment about the end of cds/physical music. I hate the fact that we may soon live in a world where all music is digital and available on streaming sites/apps only.

I love owning a copy of the music I listen to. That isn't ownership. I am legitimately angry and upset that this is where we are now. I understand it's cheaper to distribute and the majority of people who just listen to radio don't care about owning full albums. It just doesn't feel real or good to me.

23. Fox83

Trusted

I think there will always be physical offerings, but they'll likely be limited or sold direct from bands, websites, etc

Davjs likes this.
  24. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I have so many good memories of CD buying from target and best buy. I live in the middle of nowhere so my dad would drive me an hour away to go cause they are the nearest place that sold cds and we'd browse forever. Then steadily it'd be harder to find the releases we wanted and finally we stopped all together. But it will always be a treasured tradition. I did buy Britney's last album Glory in physical copy tho!

bachna84 and anonimito like this.
  25. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

very sad to hear this. It makes sense if its not profitable for them to continue selling them but still upsetting. Digital music is great and convenient but theres something about holding a tangible object that contains the music that is satisfying, also the album artwork and lyric booklet on some cds.

It seems weird to me that Vinyl is as popular as its ever been since the 70's as all other physical copies vanish, but its nic to see some form on music stick around not just in the airwaves.

DesolateEarth likes this.