Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Now, Now and Kevin Devine Discuss Mental Health

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Anna Acosta sat down with Now, Now and Kevin Devine to talk about mental health:

My biggest problem is that if I don’t want to feel something, I don’t feel something. I’ll just be like, I’m not going there right now. I have too many things to do. And I’ll just compartmentalize and not deal with whatever it is, but in order to be able to write I have to access every emotional part of my brain. So when we’re writing, if I’ve been doing that lately, if we’ve been dealing with a lot of stress or if something’s been going on in my personal life, it’ll come out when we’re writing.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Good article

3. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

i find these words from Kevin very relevant and important:

"Sometimes I think if you are available and if you do write music that’s intimate, and you speak about certain things in your songs and your interviews, I think there is a tendency with certain people to think they know you, and I would say that I’m not always sure that I think that’s true. But I get it. I felt that way about Elliot Smith when I was 18 and I was like, ‘I get it! I know you!’ And you do know part of who they are. You don’t know everything. But maybe that’s not what you asked me – I do think that the audience members I have tend to feel like I’m in a place where they can put that stuff. And sometimes I think that’s a major blessing and sometimes it feels weird and I try to build walls around what I think is appropriate and what is not. I think it’s a pretty profound misunderstanding of your station if you think you have to let everyone in at all times and I think you’ll burn the fuck out if you choose that path. But I think that maybe in as communication-saturated a moment as we’re in with social media and stuff, there’s an expectation with some bands that you’re supposed to be all the time available and I find that to be unreasonable. You don’t feel the distance anymore. And that in and of itself is a whole other interview, I think, but I do think there’s a correlation between technological addiction and mental health deterioration as well."

RyanPm40 and Zac Djamoos like this.
  4. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

5. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter