Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Women Need to Step Up,’ Says Recording Academy President

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Michele Amabile Angermiller, writing at Variety:

The only woman presented a solo Grammy during the awards telecast on Sunday night? Alessia Cara, who took home best new artist. Recording Academy president Neil Portnow was asked by Variety about #GrammysSoMale and had this to say:

“It has to begin with… women who have the creativity in their hearts and souls, who want to be musicians, who want to be engineers, producers, and want to be part of the industry on the executive level… [They need] to step up because I think they would be welcome. I don’t have personal experience of those kinds of brick walls that you face but I think it’s upon us — us as an industry — to make the welcome mat very obvious, breeding opportunities for all people who want to be creative and paying it forward and creating that next generation of artists.”

Gee, I wonder why no one watches this boring, too long, and completely out of touch show.

2. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I sighed so hard I exhaled my soul and died.

3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

on a similar note, this interview really bugged me. this woman either seems oblivious or is just feeding into the problem here

What the Women Who Brought White Roses to the Grammys Are Hoping to Accomplish | Pitchfork

4. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Writing "I don’t have personal experience of those kinds of brick walls that you face but [...]" makes him sound like he's channelling Christina Hoff Sommers or something.

5. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

It super bums me out when women who haven’t experienced discrimination in the music industry (or who have internalized the rhetoric convincing them they haven’t) decide that 1) the discrimination doesn’t exist or 2) they can speak for everyone. I see it a lot in our scene, so it’s even more discouraging that it goes all the way to the top. I shouldn’t be surprised anymore BUT...

6. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

All of the females that won were in categories that never air on TV to begin with.

SuNDaYSTaR and Ska Senanake like this.
  7. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Lol rock n roll didnt even make the cut. Love that PTM and Kendrick won, there were a few nods that definitely warmed my heart, but fuck the grammy's. Its the industry celebrating itself. It's not about celebrating art at all.

SaveTheEarth likes this.