Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2018 Grammy Winners

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

YEAH portugal

Ska Senanake likes this.
  3. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

okay i'm still annoyed and i know i shouldn't be because the grammys are dumb. but ed sheeran over kelly clarkson, pink and kesha??? ridiculous. and i was hoping sza would of won something. and i love bruno but i thought the other albums were more deserving. also still annoyed that After Laughter got snubbed. ugh so many feelings about this.

CMilliken and skogsraet like this.
  4. I've said this elsewhere, but this is probably the most pleased I've ever been with the turnout from the Grammy's. Bruno basically swept the major awards, taking home I think....7 overall? Kendrick swept the rap category with 4 or 5 awards, meanwhile Portugal. the Man got an award, Chris Stapleton got a few, Jason Isbell got a few, and almost every category went to the best contender (in my opinion). Even La La Land won 2 awards out of its 3 nominations!

People are getting bent out of shape about the awards that Bruno received instead of Kendrick, but I don't get it. Is DAMN. better than 24K Magic? By some measures, yes. But in terms of what's really getting serious radio play, Bruno has seriously measured the bar of what should be expected out of modern pop music.

5. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Lack of female winners was disappointing, other than that I don’t really care.

6. Arry

i mean, if we're taking radio plays into account, should Despacito win over That's What I Like??

7. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

bruno album doesnt come close to the others in the category, save for maybe jayz

1. kendrick
    2. lorde/childish
    jayz/bruno

CMilliken likes this.
  8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Yes. Despacito was extremely influential in bringing Latin music back into mainstream pop

Arry likes this.
  9. Who said we're taking radio plays into account, in and of themselves? I said, "Bruno has seriously measured the bar of what should be expected out of modern pop music." This level of exposure comes thanks to the radio play Bruno's music gets, and as good as Kendrick's music is, (and as successful as 2-4 songs have been), it's not going to raise the bar for pop music the way that I think Bruno's album actually will.

I'm a much bigger fan of Kendrick than Bruno, but I'm also the kind of guy who doesn't think "pop" is a dirty word. In fact, I hated Bruno until he released 24K, which won me over as a fantastic pop album. I have no problems celebrating that.

10. VanderlyleCrybaby

Regular Supporter

Congratulations to the National for winning Best Alternative Album for Sleep Well Beast! Very much deserved.

CarpetElf likes this.
  11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It's funny because for the last three years running they had the highest reviewed album of the year nominated for Album of the Year.

12. Arry

Eh, I don't know. I think you can make the same argument with Kendrick setting the bar for rap. Just his entire package of creative vision, statement in this political climate and lyrics. I do love Bruno, but I just seriously think the other noms were more deserving. In other categories too. I mean, Bruno over SZA in the R&B categories just made me so sad

13. That's fair enough, and I don't disagree. I would've been happier if Kendrick had won, but I don't want that to diminish how happy I am that Bruno won. And I can't comment on your last statement, I've never listened to SZA.

14. Spenny

Regular

I like Alessia Cara, but SZA was robbed for Best New Artist, and Kendrick for Album of the Year.

The Billboard Music Awards already exist to reward commercial success - let's move the Grammys away from always giving the award to what sold the most and focus on fan/critical acclaim.

15. Arry

oh yeah def. Bruno serves the choreo that all modern pop artists need to learn from. I'm more angry at the academy.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  16. CMilliken

Trusted

Happy with some winners. Not happy with others. Won’t lose any sleep over it.

17. StoJa9

Regular

FUCK. THE. GRAMMY'S.

18. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm a huge Kendrick fan but 4:44 is the better album of the two imo

19. Guilherme Brandao

Regular

I know it's just a matter of opinion. But I'd say that the Childish Gambino was the best album between the nominees.
    DAMN. is great, but it's not on the same level as Good Kid or To Pimp a Butterfly.

20. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

For some reason I just never could get into jayz. I've tried listening to most his releases, I just don't enjoy them. To each their own! /shrug

21. AMC

Regular

Why does that matter? Should they pick women winners just to do it even if they don't deserve it?

22. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

No, I think many of the women nominated very much deserved it.