Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Today is Martin Luther King Jr. day and it’s worth re-reading some of his speeches:

This is why right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant. I believe that even amid today’s mortar bursts and whining bullets, there is still hope for a brighter tomorrow. I believe that wounded justice, lying prostrate on the blood-flowing streets of our nations, can be lifted from this dust of shame to reign supreme among the children of men. I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits. I believe that what self-centered men have torn down men other-centered can build up.

2. caakle

Regular

Also if you ever have a chance to go to the National African American History museum in D.C. please do it's beautiful and inspiring and very important.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  3. Saephon

Regular

I sincerely believe MLK Jr. would be scorned as "disruptive" and "not protesting the right way" by the same white moderates/conservatives that claim to honor him, if he were alive today. I know he was disliked by many back then, which is rarely talked about.

I wonder what history will say about today's times half a century from now. I hope it's more accurate and less kind than the revisionist shit we teach in schools today.

storm, tyramail, Tim and 3 others like this.
  4. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

MLK was virulently anti-capitalist and the amount he's been whitewashed and sanitized for modern politics would enrage him today

storm and cwhit like this.