Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Green Day is an American punk rock band formed in 1986 by vocalist/guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong and bassist Mike Dirnt. For much of their career, the band has been a trio with drummer Tré Cool, who replaced former drummer John Kiffmeyer in 1990 prior to the recording of the band's second studio album, Kerplunk (1992). In 2012, guitarist Jason White became a full-time member after having performed with the band as a session and touring member since 1999.

2. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Warning flies way too under the radar

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

The new one is going to be great, I can feel it.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  4. I really hope so. I'm pretty sure I never even finished listening to the trilogy albums because of how bad the reviews and reactions were.

5. Craig Manning

There's a very solid one-disc album in the trilogy somewhere. If you never got to Tre, I recommend that one. There are some misfires, but the opener is terrific and demonstrates the class pop sound that I hope they follow more on their next record.

Doomsday likes this.
  6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I was very surprised to realize how well American Idiot holds up for me

7. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I have that feeling as well. They know that they have a lot to prove this time.

8. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Cautiously excited for whatever's coming

9. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

If they can take away all of the good parts from the trilogy and filter it, I know it'll be good. Billie posted a video of him messing around the studio and judging from the last second, sounds like they're recording. Doesn't really seem like demos either

10. heymattrick

Sending my love

American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown are both fantastic and hold up insanely well, in my opinion. The trilogy was underwhelming for sure, with a few amazing exceptions, but I think more disappointing was the lack of touring on the trilogy. They had one Denver-ish date at a small secondary arena (less than 10k) scheduled that ultimately got canceled when BJA went to rehab and never made it here. On 21CB they played both the Pepsi Center and Fiddler's Green within a year of each other (both about 17-18k). Hope they'll come back with a vengeance soon!

11. clockwise Apr 2, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 2, 2016)
    clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Yeah but they left you with this too so cmon

But who am I kidding I love everything GD does, Kill The DJ included ha

12. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I always say that if Donald Trump wins we'll get another great Green Day album.
    But I really do believe they'll put out at least one more classic. Political or not.

13. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

I honestly really like that song hahaha

14. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Nimrod is my favorite album of theirs, personally. Love Redundant, Worry Rock, Jinx, Haushinka, Walking Alone, and Reject.

stuckinvhs likes this.
  15. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

American Idiot is still my favorite. Nimrod is probably next, no idea after that

16. Craig Manning

American Idiot is pretty far an away their best, for me.

JRGComedy, Dirty Sanchez and FTank like this.
  17. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

American Idiot, Warning and Nimrod are their top three imo

18. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

No matter what they do - Dookie has a place in my.... you know.... It was the first one for me... It put them right on the map.

19. clockwise

Top 4 for me (all painfully close)

American Idiot
    Kerplunk
    Trilogy (yes I'm counting them as one)
    Nimrod

20. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

We're getting dangerously close to ranking and I am going to try and stomp that shit out.

What do you guys hope for, stylistically and lyrically, from this new album? The guys are getting pretty old and really hope they take a more mature approach. I'd love an album full of songs like Restless Heart Syndrome, something focusing on soft melodies and Billie's vocals. Not sure how much the fast pop punk schtick will work for them, especially after the trilogy. I mean, I'll probably love whatever they put out, but I hope it at least tries to reach some kind of different level

FTank, Collin Skeen and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  21. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't want pop punk songs, that's for sure. Something soft would be good.

Or, metalcore would be better. (just kidding)

Doomsday likes this.
  22. clockwise

I'm I'm hoping for more of a raw sound I guess, something like The Replacements, maybe mixed in with more thoughtful ballads like The Forgotten, Amy, Restless Heart, etc.

23. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Obligatory "I'm a Green Day fan and here's my Norwegian death metal joke" post

24. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Imagine an album full of "Take Back" like songs. I guess Billie sort of yells in that song haha.

25. clockwise

Oh! I'm going to see Billie's movie Geezer at TriBeCa on the 23rd, he's doing a solo performance after. I'm pumped!