Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Ocean’s 8’ Trailer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Analog Drummer

Regular

Sandra Bullock is slowly morphing into Kate Mara

So she’s Danny’s sister? That’s the only thing that connects the films, could be any other heist film?

Brent likes this.
  3. transrebel59

Regular

I am extremely surprised by this trailer. Very excited.

4. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Film studios sure love the idea of existing IP - makes it so much easier to get your film green lit if you can tie it to an existing property.

Analog Drummer and Davjs like this.
  5. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I don't have any thoughts one way or the other about this particular movie, but I get an unreasonable amount of joy out of seeing that blow up in a studio's face. I hope we're finally rounding that corner where they understand that it's not a guarantee that people will show up just because they've seen the logo somewhere before and instead actually throw money at more ambitious ideas on a frequent basis, even if they don't all end up being hits.

6. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I would say that it’s just going to get worse, especially with Disney buying Fox.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  7. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

i am stooooooked. i love heist movies

8. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

Big fan of heist movies. Loved the earlier Ocean’s films. Have high hopes for this one, but was a little underwhelmed after watching the trailer. Here’s to hoping!

9. KyleK

I totally agree with you! And as an example of utilizing it in a movie's favour - I loved Cloverfield Lane, and fear that if not for them vaguely associating it with Cloverfield, it may not have gotten made. So from time to time I appreciate the trick of trojan horsing a cool movie idea into production using existing IP.

10. kylethrash

This looks Oceans 12 bad.

11. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Trailer was just a bit underwhelming given how much talent there is in that group, and I'm hoping the good stuff is in the actual film itself (I'll still base whether I see this on the RT score anyways, like I do with every other film.)

Unrelated: wouldn't be surprised if we get a Danny Ocean cameo at the end or something.

12. Good trailer. I’m in.

fenway89 likes this.
  13. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

did people really hate oceans 12?? i enjoyed all of them tbh...

Brent likes this.
  14. Analog Drummer

Regular

Yeah, didn’t like 12 at all. Trailer for this ain’t horrible. But will be DVD or streaming for me, needs to be better for my cinema $$$ these days. Plus like above, obvious leeching off a brand name leaves a bad taste

15. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

From concept to release, that was one of the most creative film campaigns I’ve ever seen. If more studios/production companies had the courage to be that creative, I would be all for genre and world-building, even if the connection is marginal at best.

16. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Would probably be more interested if they didn't use the "Oceans" brand name. Its like if a famous athlete puts their name on some product that they have nothing to do with just to market it. The movie could do well on its own but by using the Oceans name (in a film which according to the trailer has nothing to do with the other films aside from her last name) I feel almost like the film itself isn't so great so they need to use brand marketing to entice/trick us into seeing it.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  17. KyleK

Understandable fear, especially seeing as they have so much star power in the cast, you'd think they could slam dunk the sign-off and marketing. That said, I wonder if there will be more crossover from the original, but they're just keeping it secret and out of the early trailers? Not that many movie marketing campaigns have the guts to keep things secret and risk hurting box office opening numbers.

Bayside 182 likes this.
  18. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Matt Damon is in the movie as Linus. So at the very least there’s that.

19. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

If they didn’t use the Ocean’s name, people would accuse this of being an Ocean’s ripoff. Having it be tied to it makes it so it makes sense having a similar story, as well as having a similar style.

20. Steven Soderbergh produced it, and apparently it's been in the works for a very, very long time, so the marriage to the original franchise makes perfect sense - and based on that trailer, the "this looks Ocean's 12 bad" take is... interesting. Sometimes I think some folks just wanna be mad about things.

I'm very excited for this movie.

21. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Why only 8 though?

If the studio is having such a hard time finding women, can they hire me to pick more?

Or, you know, a woman?

22. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

So it can be a trilogy of Ocean's 8, 9, and 10 without having the problem of being the same number as Ocean's 11.

23. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Hm, looks like they are just gonna hit the Heist movie playbook but with females instead. I'll bet it will be good, but not great. I DO love Sandra though. Miss Congeniality holds up real well these days.

24. Also do I have to point out the movie everyone is like “they’re using their name” was a remake?

littlejohn, Anna Acosta and fenway89 like this.
  25. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

LOVE the Oceans trilogy. 11 is probably the movie I've watched the most in my lifetime... quote it all the time and drives the wife nuts lol. 12 Was still fun, lots of memorable moments and lines.

Kind of annoying how she's copying Danny's opening scene almost line by line to start the trailer, but I get it. My wife is like, how is this even an Ocean's movie and when I told her she's his estranged sister she was like that's a pathetic reach just to use the title. Oh well, I'll go into it just expecting a fun movie with some neat cameo's and we'll see how it goes. Would love to see a mega Oceans out of this, but sadly we've lost a couple key members from the male side over time.