Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kevin Devine Hits the Reset Button

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ilana Kaplan sat down with Kevin Devine over at the Village Voice:

“If I can not release a record for a few years, I would really like that,” says Devine, who has an eighteen-month-old daughter at home in Bay Ridge. “I have that Bad Books band with the Manchester Orchestra guys, and I do think it is likely — not guaranteed, but likely — that there would be a Bad Books record before there would be a Kevin record.” But Devine’s work ethic probably won’t stop him from focusing on music entirely: He’s admittedly restless. He’s always working on music, but he’s without a concrete plan for the first time in ages, and that’s fine by him.

2. dzyjay

Regular

Did he step down from brand new?

3. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

He was quick to announce that he was going to quit playing with them and cancel his performances on their tour - before the tours themselves were postponed and then cancelled.

4. DillonHigh

Pretty sure before hand it was discussed not to ask about Brand New. And we continue to have no information. It was entertaining when it was a mystery as to what the band was up to, now it just seems scummy that they've been radio silent since Jesse's statement

Adrian Villagomez and Saephon like this.
  5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I don't hold Kevin accountable for any further addressing of anything BN related, and it really shouldn't even need to be brought up here. He made a statement in support of victims and withdrew himself from performing with the band and opening for them. The burden of further statement lies with the members of the band.

That said, I look forward to literally anything new he releases. new Bad Books would be great, I've never seen that live and would love to.

6. kaeru

pillbugpdx Supporter

Fingers crossed for a new Bad Books album!

7. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

New Bad Books would be cool.

8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Bummer to hear that we won’t get a new KD record but I would love a new a Bad Books record!

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  9. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Love KD so much. He deserves more recognition. He has some really amazing songs. And a lot of them!

serotonin and mattylikesfilms like this.
  10. DillonHigh

Technically, he was a member

11. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

This is a bit of a bummer. Thinking there would be a Kevin Devine record written/recorded/released during the Trump administration was one of my only solaces. I guess he didn't say it absolutely it won't happen. But still, nothing would make me happier during this shit show than for Kevin to make his most politically critical album yet.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  12. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

We’ll always have Bubblegum.

Essie and Benjamin Lee like this.
  13. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

... produced by JL :( (haven’t been able to listen through it since that stuff came out. I’m sure that record will feel okay eventually for me though even if BN never will)

14. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I'd actually forgotten entirely that he had produced it - so thankfully there's really no association for me to ruin it. Although anytime Cotton Crush comes up on one of Kevin's albums (it's particularly common in his live releases) I feel weird.

15. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

16. DillonHigh

Yes that is indeed the meaning of was. Which is why I used it.

17. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Personally, I have separated the artist from the art but I totally understand people who can’t. I love Bubblegum so much that it had no effect for me since I also forgot Jesse produced it.