Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Boston. Racism. Image. Reality.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Spotlight team at The Boston Globe have posted the first part in a series on racism in Boston:

Google the phrase “Most racist city,” and Boston pops up more than any other place, time and time again.

It may be easy to write that off as a meaningless digital snapshot of what people say about us, and what we say about ourselves — proof of little beyond the dated (or, hopefully, outdated) memories of Boston’s public and fierce school desegregation battles of the 1970s.

Except that Boston’s reputation problem goes much deeper than an online search. A national survey commissioned by the Globe this fall found that among eight major cities, black people ranked Boston as least welcoming to people of color. More than half — 54 percent — rated Boston as unwelcoming.

I’d call this a must read.

2. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Last year my uber driver up in Boston told me about how awful the situation is and it stuck with me.

3. GreyWall

The Boston Globe is a complete joke at this point. The Globe loves writing about/exposing the wrongs of anyone to sell a paper, as long as it doesn't involve anyone within the company. This past Friday, a local sports radio host spoke about how the Globe is hypocritical writing about the #metoo movement while they quietly forced some of their own writers to resign due to sexual harassment. In response, the Globe was forced to address it with this horseshit column basically praising itself for hiring woman and burying the lede in paragraph 12, stating that Globe writers were forced to resign but refused to name them based on a complete lie (there was no physical contact and they wouldn't name names if it were someone who didnt work for the Globe- again, this is a lie).
    Media, including Globe, walk fine line in the age of #MeToo - The Boston Globe

The very next day, after not naming any names and essentially letting the men go work elsewhere unscathed, the Globe had the balls to write this headline.

This is a very shorthand account, but there have been rumors of many men at the Globe acting reprehensibly regarding the treatment of women. If you want a woman's perspective who worked at the Glabe, read this twitter account starting on Friday when this started. Hilary Sargent (@lilsarg) | Twitter

In regards to this story about racism, it's a 7 day series. I'm sure it's accurate (I didn't read it), but I know the Globe doesn't actually care and just want papers sold and clicks. This is why the Globe is surviving and the Herald just filed for bankruptcy and sold. If the Globe really cared they might actually hire more POC, the percentage of white staff and people in power at the Globe is just as ridiculous as anywhere else. It'd be nice for the spotlight team to actually investigate their own company.

StoJa9 likes this.
  4. BernYourEnthusiasm

I'm from the area. I have always felt troubled by the sort of duality in the Greater Boston area, where Boston is somehow simultaneously one of the most hostile cities for Blacks in the country, and also one of the most progressive cities in the country.

I didn't really feel like the article should any light on the actual cause and effect here. I personally don't encounter many openly racist people in the Boston or Providence areas, yet we repeatedly see Boston sports fans are some of the most racist in the country, especially when hiding behind the cloak of anonymity on social media.

The city seemingly becomes younger and more liberal with every college semester that passes, but the racism problem just kind of lingers. I honestly don't see any obvious cause. Obviously the lack of diversity is noteworthy, but there are plenty of overwhelmingly white cities that don't end up with this kind of reputation.

5. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

"Overall, landlords ignored nearly 45 percent of e-mails from prospective tenants with black-sounding names, like Darnell Washington or Keisha Jackson, versus 36 percent of e-mails from people with white-sounding names, like Brendan Weber or Meredith McCarthy.

For example, when a prospective tenant using the name Allison Wolf asked about renting a two-bedroom condo in Boston’s Back Bay, the landlord responded later that day. “It’s available,” she e-mailed back. “You can see it on Sunday.” But when a prospective tenant asked about that same apartment the same morning using the name Tamika Rivers, the landlord never replied."

Jesus Christ.

6. StoJa9

Regular

Fuck the Globe. They tried to drag the Jimmy Fund and the Dana Farber Cancer Center through the mud with this grabage article. They have 11 minorites working for their editorial staff, out of 180 people. Soooooo diverse.

I'm a pretty staunch liberal and I wouldn't let my dog piss on the Boston Globe.