Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Evan Weiss Issues Statement on Manager

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Following allegations against his manager, Evan Weiss of Into It. Over It. has released a statement to Track Record. You can read the entire thing below.

In response to the post by Hilary Corts on November 25th. My deepest apologies to her herein.

Bottom line, this amounts to a failure on my part to navigate and understand a very severe situation that I had completely misunderstood and misread the seriousness of at the time.

Between the years of 2009 and 2015 (and again in 2016), long before Hilary was tour managing IIOI, Hilary wasn’t just a crew member to me. She was a tour-mate, close friend and, for the years following this phone call, a personal confidante.

I deeply regret anything I may have said (or didn’t say) that allowed Hilary to have felt silenced or dismissed. I had failed to view the circumstances through the lens of an employee/employer relationship and how that must have made her (or anyone else) feel in regards to her work in the music industry — especially in the IIOI touring party — and I am heartbroken. My deepest apologies to Hilary.

I should have asked more questions. I should have given Hilary the opportunity to be fully heard. As a white man, who is afforded every privilege (especially in the music industry), I will never truly understand the weight that people can feel without such privilege. I cannot even begin to attempt to relate. For Hilary to have left any conversation we had about the issue feeling powerless is not forgivable. I have learned immensely from this experience and this is a mistake I will never allow to happen again.

In terms of my delay in public response, unfortunately this situation has had (and will have) an effect on many more people than just those involved. Out of respect to those who I know, who are in no way connected to this incident but are connected to Hilary, Chase and myself, I had been working privately to gather as much information as I could.

Should anyone have any further questions they should always feel encouraged to contact me. I am always willing to open up a dialogue and have a conversation.

Thank you

2. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

After reading so many of these statements, I’m not sure how I feel about this one. Obviously these need to be well-articulated, but this reads like legalese to me, and the intention suffers because of it.

Raku likes this.
  3. AgainstMe182

Great statements - these should be the blueprints

4. TearsofaClone

I highly disagree.

"I deeply regret anything I may have said (or didn’t say) that allowed Hilary to have felt silenced or dismissed."

He told her to shut up and play nice if she wanted to keep her job. He's purposefully downplaying that in his statement. He intentionally assisted Chase in keeping her voice suppressed.

This whole statement is just one big tactical ploy to look like the nice guy and keep his career.

5. xburningcoffin

KC

Every public release is an effort to save face/career, what else would it possibly be? If it was an apology it would be to the victim. Am I a victim? NO & I don't deserve anything from any of these people because I wasn't abused or assaulted by them. For those that have been abused, my heart cries out for you and hopefully these atrocities can be stifled once and for all. An apology letter will never bring the forgiveness it so desperately tries to achieve.

6. Yellowcard2006 Dec 4, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 4, 2017)
    Yellowcard2006

Trusted

No...how about through any lens...the lens of a normal decent person

EDIT:

Just read through the statments from Chris and middle west management.

They have a straight up copy/pasted paragraph. Like could you be any less sincere than to plagiarize each other?

And as for Chris's "that's not how I remember it" that's a pretty lame thing to say because it basically implies she's lying. Or rather he is apologizing that she felt that way. "Sorry you felt I assaulting you even through I wasn't"

7. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Why is it so hard to be a decent person? I hate that he was basically compliant to this when it involved his friend.

8. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

God fucking damnit.

9. dylan

no.

From now on, anything that is different or tries to provide an "explanation" to "The allegations are true. There is no excuse for what I did/didn't do. I will apologize in private to the victim and address what I did/didn't do and they will determine how this is handled or resolved based on what's best for them. I ask that my fans believe the victim and respect the victims privacy. For the foreseeable future any revenue received from any merch, album purchases, or streams will be donated to RAINN/another sexual assault org."

10. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

What a turd. Fuck him and his terrible statement.

Basically, this scene is going to collapse on itself under the weight of all the bullshit these shitty men are pulling. Good.

bradpetrik likes this.
  11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Idk.. He made a mistake, hes apologized.. I truly believe he won't let something like this happen again.... I'll still listen to his stuff.

KidLightning likes this.
  12. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Yeah. I'm just bummed. I want to believe he actually regrets it vs being a career move.

13. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

If it’s something you are concerned with you could always email him? He’s encouraging people to interact with him privately about the situation.

_unproductive and Turkeylegz like this.
  14. jorbjorb

7 rings

This guy is a clown.

15. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I am honestly surprised how many of y'all think this was a good statement. Aside from the fact that it's incredibly disingenuous, it does nothing but further prove the prevalence of toxic masculinity in "the scene." As someone else mentioned, Evan basically says, "sorry I thought you were being a god damn drama queen about this, let's give [abuser] some space." Granted, he does apologize to the victim, but too little too late.

sophos34 and dylan like this.
  16. _unproductive

Regular

I'm very torn on posting here at all, but this isn't right. Evan has attempted to make contact with her post-her facebook post. He also had contact with her up till last year where they worked thru this all, and she told him he gave "helpful advice". I'm torn because I don't want to distract from her story, but this is spiraling. He has made himself extremely available to talk to anyone that wants to.

teebs41 likes this.
  17. _unproductive

Regular

public statements are just bizarre to me anyways, but because of people on the internet they happen, and nothing is ever good sufficient

AgainstMe182, Saephon and teebs41 like this.
  18. CSWAPPO

Regular

What a shame. Hilary is a such a sweet person.

19. dylan

i suggest you check out the Accountability in Music thread and the current discussion going on over there.

_unproductive likes this.
  20. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Not singling you out, you were just the most recent post expressing this sentiment.

I don't buy that considering this... "Evan told me to shut up and play nice if I still wanted to work for him. So that is what I did."

Aaron Mook likes this.
  21. _unproductive

Regular

i'm not quite sure how much of private conversations i want to share, so i know this just comes off as "some guy on the internet" (but like... so do you)... i think she is manipulating the conversations and relationship she had with Evan, but I'm not sure why.

22. DillonHigh

Is there anyone that can release a statement that doesn't look like it was written by a robot trained by a lawyer. For once I'd like to see a statement that came from the heart. You never see, "I'm a fucking asshole and should have never stood by my manager when I knew it was wrong." Or "this shit needs to fucking stop because people like my manager are predators that need to be put in the dark and locked away." I do not understand these bullshit statements. "I have a lot to think on and hope to one day better myself and be the person I want to be. I'm sorry if my actions have harmed anyone." Get the fuck outta here you sound like a press release.

23. dylan

oh come of the fuck on

tshreve, Aaron Mook and SaveTheEarth like this.
  24. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

he may need to be careful of getting a defamation law suit or worse. These artists aren't millionares that can afford a law suits, I bet Evan barely makes a living playing music, his bands arn't really that big. He has to play it safe, that's the world we live in. I just emailed him about getting more information, i suggest everyone who still has a problem with this do the same thing and then make the decision.

25. _unproductive

Regular

he has emails, conversations, and attempted calls with Hilary. He isn't make a statement to save face... he is honestly blindsided by it because up till now he has had a very different understanding of it