Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Glassjaw Talk About ‘Material Control’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jonah Bayer, interviewed Glassjaw for Noisey:

I think it’s probably the cleanest recording we’ve had as far as mental anguish. In the past, you’ve got to deal with people and desires and shit and I’ve said it a million times: It’s always been Justin and myself just spitting out our ideas. On this one, we really tapped into that and didn’t hurt anyone’s feelings, we just kind of went in and did it. The music was written and done and we went in and showed Billy, and Billy was just a fucking beast and caught on really quick. He’s a professional. The whole process was really simple; I couldn’t imagine it being more simple than how we did it. We didn’t stay in the studio in Hollywood for three months, we didn’t camp out at the Oakwood apartments, we didn’t spread the recording over two years and lose the fire. It was just us from front to back maintaining the sound. I love it. I would never want to do it any other way again.

2. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Sounds like it may not be another 15 years for the next LP. Excited to hear this.

Kingjohn_654 and skurt like this.
  3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

"Everybody is so stupid. It's just constant. Go on social media, just watching the state of youth and music, it numbs my fucking brain where people are at right now. Fuck."

This made me laugh so hard.

I saw these guys on Friday and couldn't believe I was only a week away from owning a new record of theirs after so long. I'm glad Billy Rymer got the call to play drums on it too, he is an absolute phenom behind the kit. So stoked for that Glassjaw heaviness again.

4. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Great interview that got me more hyped!

5. littlejohn

Prestigious Prestigious

I can't wait for this. I have been able to resist listening to Shira though. I want the album in full with headphones.

6. DeRRek

Trusted

Amazing. Not long now!!!!!

Kingjohn_654 and skurt like this.
  7. DeRRek

Trusted

Great interview but that noisey website is aids for your phone!

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  8. sammyboy516 Nov 29, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 29, 2017)
    sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Has this band ever addressed some of their super misogynistic lyrics from their earlier stuff? I hate to be that guy but I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anyone mention that here

Chris Prindle likes this.
  9. From a 2002 interview:
    Whether that's good enough will inevitably depend on the person, but to be fair, I've seen it addressed a bunch on this site. Maybe not as much in the comment sections of news posts, but deeper in the forums for sure.

10. It’s in this interview ...
    It's far more tasteful than the ignorant silliness of saying disrespectful things on a record because you're a child and you're acting like a child

11. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

They address it in the interview this thread is attached to.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

There was a huge discussion about it in the album thread like two hours ago.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  13. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

My bad...should have read the article before posting. Also should have clarified that I don’t really follow this band, ha, just know a lot of their past lyrics are problematic.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  14. TrailerParkJesus

OG

This album is so fucking heavy. Exactly what I've been waiting for for 15 years!!

15. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Are Cds getting a release tomorrow? Would love to pick it up tomorrow morning for my commute

Kingjohn_654 likes this.