Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Warped Tour Comes to an End in 2018

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Warped Tour is coming to its end in 2018. Billboard has an interview with Kevin Lyman:

Next year, The Vans Warped Tour will ride into the sunset for a final summer’s worth of North American dates. According to producer Kevin Lyman, who founded the fest in 1995, numerous factors — including an evolving summer festival industry, a shrinking pool of bands, and declining ticket sales amongst its teenage demographic — led him to declare the tour’s 24th year its last.

This stood out to me at the end:

Well, that sexual harassment didn’t happen on Warped Tour. If you go through every one of those stories, it didn’t happen on Warped Tour.

I’ve heard from multiple people that this is bullshit.

2. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

The scene is going to be a completely different place in 2019.

3. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Amid the whole Brand New fiasco I had someone tell me that I didn't understand the business implications of removing Front Porch Step and that Lyman was just being a smart business man.

4. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Holy crap Kevin.

A) Yes, it does.
    B) Talk about sitting in a glass house throwing rocks.

Peace out Warped. You were gross and slimy and I'm not gonna miss ya.

skogsraet, fenway89 and Turkeylegz like this.
  5. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Kevin made it clear in that interview he just fears change. In fact, that almost sums up the entire interview and why he's ending Warped.

He also said Less Than Jake has been around a "quarter of a decade"?

But yeah. Good riddance.

6. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

That whole answer from him was absolutely cringeworthy/appalling from start to finish.

"But if you really go through all that stuff, things happen prior to the tour or things… it's part of the culture."

Woof.

incognitojones likes this.
  7. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

I saw that and immediately laughed my ass off.

8. Loki

God of mischief

He is only ending Warped as we know it today. There will be more of the nostalgia versions like the cruise, etc. I would think.

9. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

Just about sums it up.

NL, Zoshchenko, mercury and 27 others like this.
  10. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

my music fandom wouldn't be where it is today without warped. the amount of bands i've discovered throught warped are infinite. Obviously I haven't been to warped in over 7 years, but it used to be a major staple of my summer that i looked forward to every summer. I'm very impressed that it's been going on for as long as it has been and it was only a matter of time before Kevin just said "enough{". I'll definitely try my best to go this summer. So many memories, thanks warped.

11. Bass0820

Good riddance. Blow this whole scene up

incognitojones likes this.
  12. Buscemi knows best

You owe me a Sausage McMuffin

This interview makes it easier to see the tour come to an end.

"Look, you're not going to be on my tour unless you can at least discuss situations with me before I read about it in public. If you still then don't agree, or if we don't come to a resolution, then that's what it is. But you at least owe me that respect, because I am paying you, right, to be out here? I am feeding you to be out here." - Kevin Lyman

13. Lyman's bad take on all of this aside, holy shit. I kinda can't believe it's actually ending.

14. scroopy.noopers

: (

Great news

15. This is just so gross.

16. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Don't narrow your scope. Don't eliminate opportunities. I always see bands in their early-going say, “I don't want to tour with this band” or “I don't like that scene.” Embrace everything you possibly can, okay? Embrace these bands. And I've seen these bands -- the La Disputes, the Balance and Composures, the Modern Baseballs -- those bands have done very, very well on Warped Tour, but they say, “Oh, we don't want any part of that scene.” And then I watch what happens with their crowds, because they'll get hot for a bit and then they'll settle into this thing, and they never get as big as they possibly should, because they don't expose themselves to the maximum amount of people.

this was a pretty ridiculous answer as well

SamLevi11 and jlinitz like this.
  17. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

No surprise there, he's always been so selfish and self-centred. He WOULD make those situations be about him, rather than the victims or how he's responsible for their safety.

18. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

What a [insert bigger insult than I should post on here], taking shots at bands as if they shouldn't be happy with their careers or where they ended up. I'm sure those bands he listed are much happier touring with bands they like or respect than carrying on in his immature circus.

skogsraet and cwhit like this.
  19. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I have pleasant memories of Warped, but Lyman is grade A dogshit. Hopefully this leaves room for something new, safe, and inventive for the scene to be based around.

Kuri44 likes this.
  20. Yeah, I hope some band told him "It's not indentured servitude you wank."

21. heymattrick

Sending my love

This is a guy who does not get it. Kids don’t like going to shows, they like to sit in their room and watch Netflix?! Every show I’ve been to lately says otherwise.

22. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Good riddance to slimy dogshit

23. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Can they just give Warped Tour to someone who's not a total prick and have that person run it?

beachdude42 and carrytheweird like this.
  24. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Less Than Jake formed in 1992 so....yeah.

25. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Also, I don't think Warped Tour has really fed a band into the mainstream in the past 4-5 years (does All Time Low count?) so can see why ticket sales are dwinlding. I also think that this "scene" (whatever it is now) has been split into so many sub-genres that a full-blown traveling tour can no longer draw the numbers it needs to in order to survive.