Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pandora Has Lost $1 Billion in Four Years and Is Worth Less Than Ever

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Tim Ingham, writing for Music Business Worldwide:

Pandora has posted net losses of $473.6m so far in a ‘transformative’ 2017 – which has seen it part ways with CEO Tim Westergren and other top execs, as well as the sale of its Ticketfly business to Eventbrite.

Although this figure includes a one-time Q2 goodwill impairment write down of $132m related to the net assets of Ticketfly (and other one-time expenses), it’s a very alarming indication of the firm’s long-term sustainability.

As it, it doesn’t have any sustainability.

It now looks almost guaranteed that Pandora, which lost $90m in Q4 2016, will post net losses in excess of half a billion dollars in this calendar year.

That seems bad.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I struggle to figure out where Pandora fits into the current musical landscape, and it seems most people feel that way.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

those poor Na'vis

Former Planets likes this.
  4. To hell with them. They killed rdio.

elphshelf and angrycandy like this.
  5. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Pandora was super cool to me when I was 13 and didn't know music beyond the radio but I only was with it for like half a year before I started finding things on my own

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  6. hongfong00

The sky had blackened with carrion birds. Supporter

I still listen to Pandora...

7. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

I never liked Pandora. I was always way more into last.fm

8. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Relaunch Rdio and I’ll switch back immediately.

9. zachmacD

Trusted

My girlfriend listens to either xm or Pandora with the ads whenever we're in her car. I try to drive as often as possible

10. LCT Music

Regular Supporter

I figured they were doomed when I got a notification saying the service would no longer be available in my country

11. Tata Toothy

Regular

I’ve been using pandora recently because I received 3 months free. It’s free and still sucks and I find myself using Spotify more.

12. Saephon

Regular

My best friend still uses Pandora exclusively, because he doesn't want to be bothered to go digging for new music or figure out what he wants to put on in the moment. He likes their station algorithms, apparently they suit his needs perfectly.

For me, once Spotify got its hooks into me it was over. I can never go back to using anything else; I've already "filled up" my saved music library though, so that's annoying :P

13. jorbjorb

7 rings

I thought they were going to make rdio happen again. bummer.

14. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I was never really a big fan of pandora. I don’t think I know anyone who uses it anymore either.

15. red8ge

Regular

they were doomed when my mother decided to unsubscribe and switch to spotify

16. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

Listening to Pandora in 2006-2007 helped me discover bands like Alkaline Trio and Hot Water Music so I look back on it fondly.

That being said, I think Canada lost Pandora in summer 2007 so this really doesn't affect me at all.

summertimejesus likes this.
  17. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

it will be interesting to see if their relationship with SiriusXM does anything for them (you would hope 480 million dollars can help somewhat!). Sirius is doing, in many accounts, better than ever, and now that they own a major share in Pandora, maybe there can be some changes made.

Sirius have a lot of issue pushing their services anywhere other than the car, so if they can use pandora's built in user group and make streaming as big as satellite radio, they'd be onto something.

18. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

(sorry ive thought alot about this because i may or may not be engaged to someone who works for Sirius)

19. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I've never understood the appeal of Pandora (or "radio" in general). But I'm weird and like discovering bands then listening to albums rather than listening to the world on shuffle.

tyramail and ComedownMachine like this.
  20. Loki

God of mischief

If they do go under, I hope Spotify acquires them and uses their radio algorithm... Spotify is great with a lot but their "radio" is dreadful.

I will always look fondly back at Pandora, I discovered a lot of music back in the day via their service. I still turn it on as a backdrop when I am not actively listening.

21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

In the case of radio stations (or at least alt-rock and indie stations), they often help bring in bands to cities that may not come otherwise.

22. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I'm definitely not arguing against the importance of radio stations—they just don't appeal at all to me personally in 2017. I've got a ton of other ways to discover music, and listening through entire songs I don't like, advertisements, DJ's, etc. is the least-effective method I can think of.