Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Motion City Soundtrack – Even if It Kills Me

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

There are certain albums that represent milestones in people’s musical development. Ones that trigger a rush of nostalgia more powerful than just the simple recollection of a memory. There are a couple that I can think of off the top of my head that bring me back to a time and a place, but none more powerfully than Motion City Soundtrack’s 2007 LP, Even if it Kills Me. In the interest of full disclosure, I’ll admit, I wasn’t a fan of the band before this. I was just starting to develop my own taste in music. I wasn’t quite over my Metallica phase and not quite ready to throw myself headfirst into any of the scenes I eventually would in High School. I was in sixth grade, I had yet to get my first guitar, and the two bands dominating my SanDisk MP3 player were Green Day and Fall Out Boy.

Based on those two bands alone, you can assume that my music listening was still largely radio-based. It was before my friends and I would regularly swap CD’s and the idea of being able to share playlists with each other over the internet was too far in the future to even be a thought. It really was a surprise to stumble upon a band I had never heard about, making music I fell head-over-heels for.

Maybe stumble isn’t entirely accurate. I was actually in Rochester, NY, which seemed like an eternity away from my home on the South Shore of Massachusetts, visiting some family friends (by now I just consider them family). My “cousin” Chris and I had plans to spend the day together while everyone else was busy, and we started the day with a fateful trip to the mall. We dropped by the FYE there and he picked up two CDs for his car: We Sing We Dance We Steal Things by Jason Mraz, and Even if it Kills Me by Motion City Soundtrack. We spent the weekend out there listening to EIIKM on repeat, and Chris burned me my own copy of the album before I left. Even now, a full ten years later, it’s impossible for me to hear any of those songs without being immediately and totally transferred back to those car rides.

It’s no small wonder why I love it so much. Even if it Kills Me is Motion City Soundtrack’s poppiest and arguably, most accessible record. The sugary sweet melodies and crystal-clear production rope you in and hold on tight throughout all 13 songs. “Fell in Love Without You’s” false-orchestra start gives way to double time guitar drum and synthesizer intro that acts as a shot in the arm, waking you up and preparing you for all that’s yet to come. While “This is For Real’s” melodrama and heart-on-sleeve nature would come to define my middle and early high-school relationships.

“It Had to be You” is another banger, the guitar and synthesized piano intro expresses a sense of melancholy that runs underneath the surface of the song, underneath the angst of lyrics that beg the person on the receiving end to share in the narrator’s grand vision for a relationship with his best friend.

“Last Night” and “Calling All Cops” are the mid-album, mid-tempo pop-emo numbers, both of which are vocally-driven and fairly straightforward. “Can’t Finish What You Started” picks up the tempo a bit, and when the chorus comes in, the drums drop back to half time and the guitars pan out to create a huge, bouncy, soundscape. It sounds like so many of the best parts of 2007 pop-rock, which makes the crash that much harder when “The Conversation” (the band’s first ever piano ballad) starts.

Lead Single “Broken Heart” picks things back up again with simple lyrics over palm-muted guitars and another gargantuan sounding chorus. “Hello Helicopter” touches on something a bit more political, which may have been a risk in 2007, but in 2017 seems like just the kind of song that’s needed.

The album ends on what I believe is the best four-song stretch in the band’s career. The manic-depressive “Where I Belong” is an honest look at the self in song form, starting with a casual “Hello there, how you doin’ / I’ve got all these thoughts just floating through my brain.” It gives way to album high-point “Point of Extinction” whose reverb-drenched guitar whine signals the beginning of a song that will probably forever be in my playlists. The fast paced lyrical acrobatics, pounding drums and guitar, and synthesizer sheen just do things to me.

“Antonia” is a cute-if-not-kitschy ode to a partner that I’m sure will be played at my wedding, and album closer “Even if it Kills Me” is a culmination of everything that has come before it. It’s catchy all the way through, has a huge chorus, and lyrically is holds up ten years after I first heard it.

Since 2007, this album, and indeed Motion City Soundtrack, has managed to stay with me. It’s been relevant to my life through middle school, high-school, and remains so even now as I gear up to finish my college career. The band never really went as poppy as it did for Even if it Kills Me again, and I think that manages to make the record even more special for those of us that love it so. It’s a 13 song culmination of a young life and all the feelings of drama, depression, and joy that come with it. While they may never have hit the billboard topping heights of some of their contemporaries, I think that Motion City Soundtrack is unparalleled in their genre for crafting the kind of honest and upbeat music found on this album.

studskalny likes this.
  2. CMilliken

Trusted

By far my favorite MCS album. Actually bought it at a target cause I thought the album art looked cool. And that is how I discovered this band.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  3. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

What's that album cover? I've never seen it on the regular or deluxe editions

4. Colby Searcy likes this.
  5. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Commit This To Memory is my favorite but this album is great to. Love being in Mpls/St Paul when these guys were blowing up. Nothing like MCS at First Ave. Or the yearly Christmas shows. Good times.

7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

This album has always reminded me of The Smoking Popes.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  8. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Even if someone kills me... I'm a huge MCS fan but have never listened to this album. Heartbreak will do that.

9. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

My favourite album ever. Went back to it after a year of not listening a few weeks back and it blew me away all over again.

10. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

I think this album was a bit of a letdown after commit this to memory and I am the movie. This started the run of just so so records for them imo.

theredline likes this.
  11. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Favourite MCS album.

12. tshreve

Metalicca

Fantastic fall record

13. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

By far my favourite album by them; Last Night and Calling All Cops are plain and simply perfect.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  14. The Format

Regular

One of my favorite albums. I think Commit This To Memory had a bigger impact for me.

Turkeylegz and theredline like this.
  15. jorbjorb

7 rings

Such a great album.

16. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

Thanks for the love guys. This is a cool birthday present lol

17. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

One of my favorite albums and band. Kills me they're gone.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  18. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

I still think this is their best album.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

My Dinosaur Life will always be my favorite, but this is definetly my 2nd.

20. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Even If It Kills Me and Chase This Light ehhh! ;D similar feelings for me, though both not my favorite from each of those bands, but very important till this day.

21. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Don't think I could pick a favorite but I love all their albums in their own ways. This one is definitely top two or three for me.

22. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve had such an attachment to CTTM and EIIKM. Both, to me, deal with a lot of the same issues but end in opposite manners (one downtrodden and one hopeful) and I’ve always tried to be more EIIKM than CTTM. Both records mean the world to me.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  23. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The acoustic version of Broken Heart is perfect. Forgot how awesome it is.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  24. Paul

Still my favorite album from them

Turkeylegz likes this.