Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Disney’s Vindictive LA Times Ban Prompts Critics and Media Boycotts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Adam Rosenberg, writing for Mashable:

Four major film critic organizations released a joint statement, directed at Disney, that sends one blunt message: Enough with this bullshit.

The statement in question is a response to Disney’s media blackout of the Los Angeles Times, a retaliatory response to what the Lucasfilm and Marvel owner has characterized as “biased and inaccurate” coverage of the company’s business dealings with the city of Anaheim, California. The Los Angeles Film Critics Association, New York Film Critics Circle, Boston Society of Film Critics, and National Society of Film Critics all joined together to send the message early Tuesday.

Dear Disney, here’s your crash course in the Streisand Effect.

2. DillonHigh

Someone learned about The Streisand Effect from the thread covering this on Reddit.

3. 1. I don't read Reddit.

2. I was actually on the internet when the original event happened. I'm old.

4. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Clearly you learned it from my comment in yesterday's Taylor Swift thread.

But seriously, what is it with tonedeaf megabrands over the last few days? This is decidedly not a new phenomenon, and any decisionmaker who doesn't see the backlash/amplification coming from a mile away doesn't deserve to keep their post.

5. :speakno:

2017 seems to be the year people think there are no consequences for shitty behavior. I've got a guess what cause that. Hah.

6. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

This is such a bizarre story. The LA Times is my local paper and does a ton of great reporting, like you guys said I can't believe Disney didn't realize what a huge backlash they'd get for doing this.

7. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I learned about it from Atlanta. Did you ever watch that show?

8. Nope.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  9. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

10. red8ge

Regular

mattylikesfilms, Davjs and Aaron Mook like this.
  11. Davjs

Trusted

A pretty good argument on why Disney did what they did, even though it's all over now.

What they seem to be doing to theatres over Star Wars though seems so terrible. Their movies make the most money from theaters so I don't get why they'd want to hurt them.

Raku likes this.
  12. Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  13. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Aaron Mook likes this.
  14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Good.

15. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

good. fuck Disney for thinking that was acceptable.

16. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I somewhat agree with this sentiment but I am interested in the original article that prompted Disney to blacklist them (trying to find and read that now). If a journalist/journalistic entity can objectively be found to be spreading falsehoods against a company, why should that company refrain from pushing back? I am not saying that's the case here, but I am trying to understand your point and how much you understand of the situation (while admitting I don't know all of it). and would apply this attitude to future cases There's a difference between not liking something that's factually correct and not liking something because it's a damaging falsehood.

17. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

well, that hypothetical doesn't apply here, as you said. even if that were the case, i'd argue pursuing a libel suit would be preferable to blacklisting. but certainly in this case - the LA Times had posted an investigative report of Disney's tax deals associated with their CA Disneyland, which did not receive any corrections from Disney - it's naked pressure for the paper to bend to them.

Helloelloallo likes this.