Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anthony Rapp: Kevin Spacey Made a Sexual Advance Toward Me When I Was 14

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Adam B. Vary, writing for Buzzfeed:

In an interview with BuzzFeed News, Rapp is publicly alleging for the first time that in 1986, Spacey befriended Rapp while they both performed on Broadway shows, invited Rapp over to his apartment for a party, and, at the end of the night, picked Rapp up, placed him on his bed, and climbed on top of him, making a sexual advance. According to public records, Spacey was 26. Rapp was 14.

Kevin Spacey responded on Twitter and used his response to publicly come out as homosexual. I think Richard Lawson said it best, “Coming out as a gay man is not the same thing as coming out as someone who preyed on a 14-year old. Conflating those things is disgusting. This expose the gay community to am million tired old criticisms and conspiracies.”

2. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I said it in the Sci Fi thread when I found out, but again, truly saddened and disappointed in this story, as well as confused as to how he believes this story is the grounds for coming out. Like Kevin, this is not the issue at all.

I'm also reading reports that House Of Cards is now cancelled too. I think this is the end of the line for Spacey and his work.

fenway89 likes this.
  3. kpatrickwood Oct 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 30, 2017)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Well hopefully we can at least get the Netflix president fired more quickly than we’ve been able to get the actual president fired.

4. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

He tried to take a page out of the Caitlyn Jenner Guide For Using Coming Out To Distract Basic Cis/Het Audiences, but forgot the main rule: ensure people world-over HAVEN'T heard about the messed up shit you've done, then come out - in time they'll never realise you messed up bad.

Kidding aside, what a fuckhead. I guess I'm not surprised seeing as every male celebrity seems to be a perverted fuck, but I am disappointed. And good on them for canceling House Of Cards. Fuck having to work with Spacey after this.

5. Montauk1222

Trusted Prestigious

Despicable response to an even more despicable set of actions.

SuNDaYSTaR and suicidesaints like this.
  6. aniafc

Trusted

They're definitely ending HoC...after one more season

7. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Fairly certain season 6 is already filmed or at least close to done.

8. aniafc

Trusted

Ahh, I didn't know how close they were to finishing it.

9. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I'm confused—why is everyone acting like Kevin Spacey just came out? We already knew he was gay. I understand the outrage that he absolutely should not have associated his homosexuality with that incident nor suggested that he did it because he was in the closet at the time. It was a shitty thing to do, and if this and other claims that this was a pattern with him are true, I'm disgusted. I'm just confused why people are acting like this is the first time they've heard that he was gay.

10. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I'm only speaking for myself here - I already 'knew' so to speak - but what's outraging people (myself included) is that he picked now to do it publicly, when the heat is on him. For one thing, it seems very likely that this is him trying to minimize his awful actions by doing so. Also, it's going to play into a lot of bigoted people's gross beliefs that conflate queerness with sexual assault and predatory behaviour.

To be clear, I'm not attacking you at all, just offering my two cents.

fenway89 likes this.
  11. CMilliken

Trusted

Thought they were just starting production on it soon.

12. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

Never saw House of Cards. Wanted to, but guess like I won't. Fuck this guy.

13. CyberInferno

That's my confusion. I thought he had already come out publicly years ago. So how did we all know he was gay already?

And not to worry, I completely understand the outrage with him saying it now as it reinforces a completely false negative stereotype with homsexuality. My confusion purely lies with how we all knew he was gay if he didn't publicly come out prior to this incident. I just don't remember the circumstances about why we know he's gay.

fenway89 likes this.
  14. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

It’s been filming for a couple months now. I live around the production hotspots around Baltimore

15. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

We all knew because he's been coming onto and having relations with gay men privately for years, which they addressed but he never did. And he publicly dated women.

16. transrebel59

Regular

Much like the other similar stories around Hollywood, Spacey's predatory behavior had been known about for a while. It took another celebrity speaking up for the general public to care/notice.

17. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Kevin Spacey The Predator aside, it was never that great a show - just another show about a powerful white man being a shitty human and charming the pants off mainstream audiences each time he murders or intimidates someone.

Like, if you saw Breaking Bad it's the same deal but way less interesting or good - a conflation of 'anti-hero' and 'piece of shit'.

fenway89 and musicfan9795 like this.
  18. CyberInferno

Ah, ok. I guess the rumors were just so rampant that I had assumed they were confirmed by him as true. Thanks for the clarification.

fenway89 likes this.
  19. failinginplace

Regular

I believe House of Cards was already slated to end after the next season, and this was decided months ago. This is Netflix "taking action" without really taking action.

Also, fuck Spacey's coming out. You just trivialized what millions of people try to do every year, and tied it to pedophilia. fuck.

carrytheweird likes this.
  20. transrebel59

Regular

Honestly, what can Netflix actually do that would make people happy in this scenario? Cancel the show more? They said they were disturbed by the revelations and sent people to the set to ensure the safety of the cast and crew.

carrytheweird likes this.
  21. transrebel59

Regular

I started to feel this same way about Stranger Things and Twin Peaks after their newest seasons and I realized that they're both Missing White Woman Syndrome: The TV Show.

22. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

very grateful to kevin spacey for taking the opportunity to throw the lgbtq community under the bus for his predatory behavior!

23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

There have been rumors for years that Kevin had some some messed up stuff and a lot of people played it off as just that. There's always a fire where there is smoke. I wouldn't be surprised if other pedo actors are soon called out.

24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

every male celebrity? Where did you stumble upon this? Source please.

zachmacD likes this.
  25. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

coleslawed, CoffeeEyes17 and Aregala like this.