Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hit the Lights – “Believe in Me”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. huntercrunch

Regular

well... that wasn't very good...

I quite like the main guitar riff, but the vocals are really grating to listen to.

To be honest, while this band is obviously on the poppier side of pop-punk, their songs just aren't very catchy, this one included.

3. SmithBerryCrunch Oct 27, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 27, 2017)
    SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I think this is alright. Chorus is pretty catchy. The mix/production feel pretty off though.

4. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

what the hell did i just listen to? I had to turn that off 40 seconds in.

5. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

This song is a mess. Holy cow.

6. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Invicta was incredible and even Summer Bones was decent (albeit a step down), but these guys are very close to falling off the map for me.

7. holy hell, what did I just listen to?

earthlight likes this.
  8. ... tried to warn y'all ...

Matt504 likes this.
  9. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

10. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I mean, I didn't think their last full length was that bad. Invicta was so good -- so the last album could have been a warning sign that they were going off the rails a bit. But i've seen plenty of bands have a bad album and rebound with awesome quality stuff.

This is not a good sign obviously

11. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I dunno man, I think the song is pretty indefensible. It's a mess musically, structurally, lyrically and the production is a train wreck too. I really have hope for these guys but this is just not good.

12. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Yeah I really liked Invicta. Shame they went back to plain old pop punk.

earthlight likes this.
  13. SFguitar

Regular

Surprised at the hate for this track. These guys have done something different each album, and they're continuing that trend with the use of dropped tunings on their new stuff. And that chorus is super catchy, just like all their other songs. The production is a step downward though, vocal should be mixed better.

thetuningspoon and Bayside 182 like this.
  14. Drop tuning your guitars does not count as "doing something different" if you're just playing the same thing you would've anyway

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Especially if its worse quality than what you did before

Aaron Mook likes this.
  16. SFguitar

Regular

While I agree with you on the production, just because a song doesn't follow a traditional verse/chorus/verse/chorus format does not make it a "mess". I've noticed more and more bands and experimenting in this sense. Music evolves if you didn't notice.

17. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

with the last album and this, they are trying real hard to be in that FYS brand of pop punk, and that... is not where they should go.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

You always have hahaha, also I’m seeing Aaron Gillespie solo tonight in NOLA. I’ll try to get some new info on Underoath/The Almost, and pass it along...

skurt and Jason Tate like this.
  19. Analog Drummer Oct 27, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 27, 2017)
    Analog Drummer

Regular

Bit same ol same ol. But didn’t offend me too much. I bopped along.

20. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I actually like it? :) yeah

Analog Drummer likes this.
  21. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

:hearno:

22. schackbr

Regular

this band has always been one of my guilty pleasures and i've liked everything they've put out...but i can't get behind this.

1. why does it sound like it starts like in the middle of a song
    2. what is that scratching in the first 15 seconds? is this korn? limp bizkit?

23. ctigers92

Sounds like a Set Your Goals cover song. Loved Summer Bones fwiw.

24. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

25. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

It's really not a train wreck or anything but I'll take Invicta and Skip school, start fights over this shit any day.

marceting likes this.