Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Julien Baker Bravely Confronts Her Traumas and Fears

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jon Pareles, writing for The New York Times:

“Sprained Ankle,” was a measured cry in the wilderness, a distillation of solitary despair. Just two years later, “Turn Out the Lights” is the work of a songwriter who has resonated with an international audience and who is moving beyond the apocalyptic self-absorption of adolescence. It’s the rare second album that, despite new self-consciousness, stretches beyond an unspoiled debut to reach for even bigger things, with all its passion intact.

“Once we finished recording it, in January, there was a lot of anxiety for me,” Ms. Baker said. “Is it too similar? Is it too different? How can you be afraid of both of those things at the same time?” She laughed. “But I somehow was.”

2. AshlandATeam

Trusted

The world needs more people - and songwriters - like Julien Baker.

fenway89 likes this.
  3. generalmills9

Easily one of my favorite singers of all-time! Her songs really strike a chord with me

fenway89 likes this.
  4. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Looking forward to Friday now.

Just listening to her first band and they are really cool too. Shows her development and progression really well.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  5. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Yeah that Star Killers record is really good. I'm surprised at how often I return to it.

6. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

she's so clearly wise beyond her years

coleslawed likes this.